Emperors, the Oscars and the Razzies

By CLINTON DOGGETT

Beck covers Nelly, Mariah Carey

If you’ve seen the series of late night television… Beck covers Nelly, Mariah Carey

If you’ve seen the series of late night television spots Beck has done during the past couple of months, it’s hard to believe the NME report that the outwardly lonesome troubadour busted into renditions of Nelly’s “Hot in Herre” and Mariah Carey’s “Fantasy” at a March 18 gig in Australia. In other news, you’ll never be as cool as Beck. Ever.

Celebrities win Oscars, have opinions about stuff

This is not a good week for entertainment news. Half of it is dominated by the war, 48 percent is dominated by the Oscars, and the remaining 2 percent are dominated by the relation between the two. So, if you weren’t watching, the important Oscar winners were: Nicole Kidman, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Chris Cooper, Adrien Brody, Roman Polanski and “Chicago.” Of course, they all had some “inspirational” words to say, but Michael Moore took the cake, as well as an Oscar for his documentary “Bowling for Columbine.” During his acceptance speech, he said “Shame on you, Mr. Bush!,” among other things, according to Reuters.

Madonna, Britney Win Big

At this year’s recent Golden Raspberry Awards, Madonna was the main attraction. But, unfortunately for her, these awards are given to those with outstandingly bad performances in film during the past year. According to Eonline.com, the nympho-diva was awarded both the Worst Actress and Worst Supporting Actress titles for her work in “Swept Away” and “Die Another Day,” respectively. Other trophies went to Britney Spears for “I’m Not a Girl, Not Yet a Woman,” (Worst Original Song) and Hayden Christensen for the second installment of the “Star Wars” prequels (Worst Supporting Actor).

Joey Fatone readies Comedy Album

While the ever-so-agonizing ‘N Sync hiatus tears apart the youth of America, Joey Fatone has apparently been keeping himself busy in the studio, at work on a comedy album. MTV reported last week that the ‘N Sync member’s upcoming effort will parody songs, Weird Al stylee. Lance Bass, ‘N Sync bass section and failed Astronaut, said “it’s going to be pretty funny.” Yeah …

Godspeed You Terrorist Emperor!?

Those who are familiar with Godspeed You Black Emperor!, an indie orchestra from Canada, know the politics that supposedly run rampant within their 20 instrumental opuses. Pitchformedia.com reported earlier in the week that the band was rushed by a legion of gun-toting police officers at an Oklahoma gas station, and taken in for a few hours of interrogation terrorist stuff. Of course, authorities found nothing, and the group was released. Godspeed’s tour will resume as planned, hitting Carnegie Mellon University March 31.