Sianni brings Tyson-like intensity, but does not bite

By KEVIN NASH

Apparently some still view Mike Tyson as a role model.

Pitt wrestler Jordan Sianni sees… Apparently some still view Mike Tyson as a role model.

Pitt wrestler Jordan Sianni sees similarities between he and Tyson as Sianni feels that he has the same attitude and intensity on the mat as Tyson has in the ring.

“My idol is Mike Tyson,” Sianni said. “I enjoy hurting people on the mat.”

The 19-year-old freshman was born to Anthony and Debbie Sianni on Feb. 10, 1984. He grew up in Newark, Del., and attended Hodgson Vocational Tech. Sianni has a brother, Anthony, a real estate agent, and a sister, Kristin, a student attending the University of Delaware.

Teammates describe Sianni as being physical and a hard worker in the wrestling room.

“He’s crazy [on the mat]. He’ll do anything [necessary] to win,” training partner Michael Perinotti said. “He is sick on the mat; he just drops people on their heads.”

A friend of Sianni’s encouraged him to start wrestling in seventh grade. Sianni’s mom suggested he start wrestling because he always fought with his older brother. Sianni agreed to give wrestling a shot and has been terrorizing opponents ever since.

“My boy from school told me to come out for the team and my mom wanted me to wrestle,” Sianni said. “I used to always fight with my brothers.”

Even though wrestling was his mom’s suggestion, she and his siblings are beginning to have an appreciation for wrestling. Sianni’s dad attends most of his matches.

“My dad comes to almost every single match. He is really supportive,” Sianni said. “He hasn’t missed many matches and my brother, sister and mom are getting into it.”

Buffalo was the other school that pursued Sianni, but in the end he wanted to be a Panther.

“My other option was Buffalo, and it was too cold for me,” Sianni said.

Pitt assistant coach Sanshiro Abe also had a hand in attracting Sianni to Pitt. Sianni saw it as an opportunity to get better as Abe was an Olympic wrestler.

“Sanshiro Abe was an Olympic wrestler and Buffalo didn’t have anybody my weight, so I knew I’d have somebody to workout with.” Sianni said.

Head coach Rande Stottlemyer describes Sianni as a hard worker and somebody who enjoys situations when the meet comes down to his bout and he can win the meet for the team.

Sianni, a three-time high school state champion, has continued his winning legacy at the collegiate level as he has posted a 27-7 overall record and a 10-1 record in dual meet action, which are both team bests.

“He likes wrestling more than anything else and that is good,” Stottlemyer said. He goes out with a fire in his eyes.”

He also leads the team in pins and major decisions with seven and six, respectively.

“Pinning is really big and he has helped us out a lot.” Stottlemyer said.

Sianni has to work hard to maintain his weight as he wrestles at 125 pounds. At the beginning of the season, he was tipping the scales at approximately 150 pounds.

“I missed weight one time [this season] because we had an earlier weigh in than I expected,” Sianni said. “I’m on a good diet and I workout twice a day. I wrestle and then run at night.”

After weighing in before a match, Sianni is relieved that he can eat and rebuild his energy. Sianni looks forward to this moment days prior to every weigh in.

“I gain about seven pounds after weigh ins. You wait two days for those 10 minutes [after weigh ins],” Sianni said. “As soon as you make weight it’s a great feeling. It feels like I have reenergized myself.”

At the EWL and NCAA Championships, Sianni will be faced with a major challenge. He has to make weight two times at the EWL Championships and three times at the NCAA Championships.

“I have to keep my weight down in order to be strong at the tournaments,” Sianni said. “I need to be healthy. As long as I keep my weight down I have a good chance [of winning the tournaments].”

Sianni has set personal goals of winning both the EWLs and NCAAs. He wants to win the tournaments before the end of his career, but the sooner the better.

“I’m trying to win the EWLs first and then win the Nationals,” Sianni said. “I want to win the Nationals at least once, but I want to do it this year.”

“He’s got a great attitude,” Stottlemyer said. “He thinks he can win every match and you have to think that way.”

When Sianni isn’t wrestling he enjoys spending time at the beach, boating, jet skiing and cliff diving. The highest cliff he dove from was approximately 80 feet.

“I like to chill out on the beach and ride my jet ski. Everybody needs a break, so that they don’t burn out,” Sianni said. “It gets my mind off of wrestling.”

Summers are meant for Sianni to relax, but he still has to do something related to wrestling during the off-season. Sianni freestyle wrestles during the summer to keep himself grounded.

After graduation he would like to follow in his father and brother’s footsteps in the real estate business.

“I want to be a real estate agent. My brother and pop are,” Sianni said. “I also like the money.”

Sianni has adjusted well to Pittsburgh. It is different from Delaware, a small state where everybody knows everybody.

He just has one complaint: “Not everybody in Pittsburgh follows wrestling like they do in Delaware,” Sianni said. “We need more fans.”