Velazquez helps Pitt remain perfect at new home

By RYAN FALOON

For anyone who thinks there is no such thing as home field advantage, the Pitt softball… For anyone who thinks there is no such thing as home field advantage, the Pitt softball team proved them wrong.

With a new field to play on and back-to-back doubleheaders, the Panthers (10-14) remain perfect on their new diamond, winning all four games in only two days.

On Wednesday, the Panthers hosted the Robert Morris University Colonials (2-11) and won both games by a large margin, 8-0 and 7-2.

Despite suffering a 10-game losing streak in recent weeks, the Panthers’ new home may be the confidence booster that was lacking earlier this season.

“This is one of the nicer fields we’ve played on in Pittsburgh,” Pitt head coach Michelle Phalen said. “We love playing at home.”

Pitt pitcher Nikki Gasti took the mound for the Panthers in the first game, picking up her second shutout of the season. Gasti completed the game in only six innings, because of an eight-run mercy rule that ended the game early.

“She’s gotten a lot better,” Phalen said about Gasti. “She’s taking more control and much more command.”

Offensively, the Panthers were impressive as well. They dominated Robert Morris pitcher Erica Riggle, hitting the ball in all the right places.

Pitt senior Ana Velazquez was among those Panthers who hit the ball well. With a single late in the game, Velazquez set a Pitt record, extending her hitting streak to nine games.

Freshman Christa Hunter displayed her power at the plate as well. Late in the game, Hunter crushed the first home run of her career.

Overall, it was a solid team effort, with contributions from nearly everyone on the Panthers roster.

In the second game of the doubleheader, the Panthers were just as remarkable. Senior Janelle Pepe pitched a complete game as well, allowing only six hits and one earned run.

The Panthers once again were aggressive with their bats as they blew away pitcher Brandi Papiernik of the Colonials, which resulted in her early departure.

The Panthers showed good signs early on, as the entire batting order got a turn at the plate in the first inning and three runs were scored.

Pitt added a fourth run in the top of the fourth inning after a single by freshman Francesca DiMaria. The RBI was one of four on the day for DiMaria, who went 4 for 5 in the two games.

One run was scored in each of the final three innings at bat for the Panthers, with RBIs by three different players.

Velazquez extended her hitting streak to 10 with yet another phenomenal performance at the plate in the second game. She went 4 for 4f in the game, scoring all four times.

Panther bats sent the ball flying in all directions throughout the doubleheader. As a team, they combined to have 21 hits on the day, which created their 15 runs.

The pitching was outstanding as well, and the defense showed signs of improvement for the Panthers, making several important plays and diving for tough catches.

However, there are still some aspects of the Pitt defense that Phalen feels are in need of improvement as this extensive season continues and conference play quickly approaches.

“We still need to tighten up on our defense,” Phalen said. “I’m striving to play errorless ball.”

The Panthers are currently riding a five-game winning streak. They hope to improve it to seven this coming weekend as they travel to St. Francis College this weekend for a doubleheader beginning at 12 p.m.