Puppets, puppets everywhere

By WENDY TOTH

Puppet Conference

Through April 27

Carnegie Museum of Art

(412) 622-3131

www.cmoa.org… Puppet Conference

Through April 27

Carnegie Museum of Art

(412) 622-3131

www.cmoa.org

Puppets. Not one of us can thwart their furry antics. They always get exactly what they come for – a laugh. And now they’re speaking for themselves.

It’s safe to say that most of us spent at least an hour a day for a good five or six years plopped in front of the television watching puppets – “Sesame Street,” “The Muppet Show,” “Mr. Rogers’ Neighborhood,” “Fraggle Rock.” And today none of us can hold in a smile or muffle an “aww” when faced with one of our old-time favorites. A person might think the puppets always knew this. But apparently not, because they held a conference to talk about it.

Internationally celebrated video artist Christian Jankowski created a forum in the Carnegie Lecture Hall for famous television puppets to discuss burning marionette matters with a diverse local all-puppet audience. And he caught it all on video.

Moderator Art Cat, the Carnegie Museum of Art’s mascot for children’s programs discussed topics such as the role of humans in the puppet world, and the relationship between puppets and art with the famed (and adorable) Grover, Fozzie the Bear, Lamb Chop and Mr. Shelby, an up-and-coming Pittsburgh native.

With his characteristic enthusiasm, Grover said, “No, don’t tell me. I know exactly what a puppet is. Puppets are something you wear around your waist to keep up your pants!” He may seem a little confused, but don’t be fooled, he definitely knows the difference between near and far, and he can prove it.

Jankowski got help from all kinds of companies such as Sesame Workshop, The Jim Henson Company and local Pittsburgh puppeteers, but the puppets didn’t seem to notice. An opinionated toilet brush puppet in the audience commented on his human saying, “I’m attached to the guy, but he’s kind of manipulative.”

Even Mallory Lewis, the daughter of the late Shari Lewis, and Lamb Chop’s newest “supporting act” tried to get in on the action. But she was set straight and assured her costar Lamb Chop that she would only be “an arm’s length away.”

As far as contemporary art goes, Jankowski knew it would be hard to reach serious issues with entertainers who never break character as panelists. He said it was even difficult to get the crew of Sesame Workshop to admit their roles in the lives of such stars as Elmo, who made a guest appearance via satellite.

But with Lamb Chop commenting on how she has been on top for almost five decades, one can’t help but notice that these lovable creatures are already outlasting humans. Luckily it’s for the good.

An audience member/marionette had an interesting take on the human-puppet issue: “In a puppet show there is no reality, so everything is reality.”

No matter what reality is, it’s refreshing to see out favorite classic stars doing new material, and maybe even making us think. Kinda like they did when we were little.