Finding out about the true meaning of Groundhog Day

By Marchilena's Madness

PUNXSUTAWNEY, Pa.- As a youngster growing up in New Hampshire, I often wondered what was so… PUNXSUTAWNEY, Pa.- As a youngster growing up in New Hampshire, I often wondered what was so special about Groundhog Day.

Don’t get me wrong, there’s nothing wrong with groundhogs. But the idea that an animal could determine how much longer winter would last, and why people would want to celebrate it just didn’t make any sense – until now.

On Sunday, with the help of Pitt football players Chad Reed, Vince Crochunis and Charlie Steffy, I was able to experience Groundhog Day first hand and try to figure out what the true meaning of the holiday really is.

12:10 a.m.

After trying to find my way to their house on the Pitt shuttle, I arrive late as usual. I am greeted at the bottom of the stairs by Vince, who informs me that everyone has already started to get ready for the trip.

After we pose for a few pictures, I decide to begin my inquiry into the meaning of the holiday.

“It’s a tradition that’s been going on for like 90 or 100 years,” Vince tells me. “And it’s not only a [United States] tradition. They do it all over Europe, too, except not with groundhogs.”

1:05 a.m.

After a few games of “ping-pong” and more picture-taking, I get a chance to ask my host where this tradition started.

“My sophomore year in high school, my brother and I came up with a bunch of buddies because my family actually has a lot of roots in Punxsutawney,” Chad says. “Since then, I’ve brought everybody who is around me into the circle, and we just make one big party out of it.

“It’s going to be a tradition that runs forever. All of us will meet somehow, some way on Feb. 2 at Gobbler’s Knob.”

1:50 a.m.

The time has finally come to head for the bus. In a few hours, I will lose my Groundhog Day virginity.

2:30 a.m.

After getting everyone to settle down, Charlie sits down next to me, ready to give his interpretation of Groundhog Day.

“It means more than anything in my life. This is what I live for,” he says. “I came to Punxsutawney for one reason and that’s to see what Phil has to say.”

While everyone else is afraid that Phil might see his shadow, Charlie tries to have a positive outlook on whatever the groundhog’s prognostication will be.

“I have to go south [for spring break] if Phil sees his shadow,” he admits. “If he doesn’t see his shadow, I’ll go to Canada. I don’t care because Phil’s so accurate, it’s ridiculous.”

Vince seconds what Charlie has to say, backing up the groundhog’s ability to predict the weather.

“The groundhog knows more than any of us,” he tells me. “I’m ready for the worst. I’ll bundle up and wear a couple extra layers of clothing.”

But not everyone is that accepting of the possibility of six more weeks of winter.

“Groundhog Day means to me … seeing the fat groundhog come out of his hole,” Christie, one of our group members, says. “I hope he doesn’t see his shadow.”

She smiles and tells me that it’s her first time, too, and I feel relieved to know that I’m not the only rookie here.

3:50 a.m.

As we get closer, it looks as if everyone on the bus has fallen asleep with the exception of the people standing in line for the bathroom.

Cursing my weak bladder, I get up to join them.

4:10 a.m.

The bus drops us off on a street corner and we begin to make our way to a nearby McDonald’s.

Other people have already started showing up for the celebration. As we walk down the sidewalk, I happen to notice one group of guys watering the side of a house, and I am thankful for the bathroom on the bus.

4:40 a.m.

After finishing my breakfast, I listen to Chad and Charlie discuss past Groundhog Days.

Chad asks for a taste of Charlie’s strawberry sundae, but instead of giving him a spoon, Charlie smears it all over his face.

Something tells me that this moment will soon be added to their Groundhog Day memory bank.

4:49 a.m.

The restaurant goes crazy as a member of Phil’s inner circle walks in the door. Dressed in a black trench coat and a velvet top hat, Bob Chambers smiles and laughs as he poses for pictures.

As I watch, I figure now is my chance to find out what Groundhog Day is all about. Who better to ask then a member of the inner circle?

“Why, it’s the only holiday of the year as far as I’m concerned,” Chambers says. “How else are we going to know what the weather’s going to be if Phil doesn’t tell us?”

Unfortunately, we feel differently about whether or not Phil should see his shadow. Underneath his coat, Bob has a badge with his title on it: cold weatherman.

5:02 a.m.

It’s time to get on the shuttle that will take us to Gobbler’s Knob. Missy, the woman selling tickets inside a wooden booth, offers to give me her thoughts on Groundhog Day.

“It means the little furry creature coming out and seeing or not seeing his shadow and predicting the weather,” she says. “[It affects me] a lot. Do I keep the winter clothes out or bring the spring clothes out?”

5:39 a.m.

We’ve made it to the Knob and have joined a group of people that are trying to get on stage when I see the perfect “person” to tell me about Groundhog Day – a giant groundhog.

“Groundhog Day is all about Phil,” the groundhog tells me. “I want six more weeks of winter because I love it. It’s cold, it’s beautiful … I want to disappoint people.”

What a sick and twisted creature.

6:32 a.m.

The sun has barely started to come up as fireworks explode into the air. Everyone is awake and cheering, with the exception of the one that we all came to see.

“Phil’s definitely nervous right now,” Charlie explains. “He sees the sun over the horizon and he doesn’t know what to do.”

7:25 a.m.

The time has arrived. Phil comes crawling out of his hole and everyone holds his breath to see what Phil will choose.

“Phil sees his shadow,” a man says over the loudspeaker. The crowd groans, and people immediately start to leave.

8:12 a.m.

We finally get back on the bus and find that there are already people there, sleeping. After waiting close to 45 minutes, everyone has returned, and we’re ready to head home.

11:00 a.m.

After some much needed rest, we are finally back in Oakland, and despite the prediction of six more weeks of winter, everyone’s spirits are high.

“It was still a success in the fact that we all made it up there, we had a great time, and nobody got hurt,” Chad says. “The weather was good, and you couldn’t ask for more out of Groundhog Day.”

With 363 days remaining until the next trip to Gobbler’s Knob, the group has already started making plans to bring back more people next year with the hope that many of them will be Pitt students.

“It’s one of those weekends where you have to go out and check it out,” Vince says. “Forty-some thousand people are counting on what the groundhog has to say. What do you have to say Pitt student body?”

Joe Marchilena is the assistant sports editor for The Pitt News and assures everyone that no groundhogs or football players were hurt in the writing of this column.