Softball opens season over the weekend in Houston

By SHAUNNA STUCK

The Pitt softball team kicked off its 2003 season with a trip to Houston. The Panthers… The Pitt softball team kicked off its 2003 season with a trip to Houston. The Panthers finished 2-3 over the weekend in the Hilton Houston Plaza Cougar Invitational.

Northern Iowa 9, Pitt 0

Pitt was shut out in its season opener, as Northern Iowa (4-3) scored four runs in the first inning. The Panthers had five hits and runners in scoring position, but could not score any runs in the Friday morning matchup.

In the bottom of the first inning, senior shortstop Ana Velazquez ripped a single up the middle of the diamond for Pitt’s first hit of the season. Freshman Christa Hunter’s base hit in the second inning was good for her first collegiate hit.

Casey Pickard and Beth Gill both singled in the loss.

The Panthers made six errors but Velazquez had a putout with five assists in six errorless chances.

“The first game was a little shaky,” head coach Michelle Phalen said. “Defensively we made a lot of mistakes.”

Senior Janelle Pepe picked up her first loss on the season. She allowed five earned runs and eight hits in five innings of work. Pepe recorded two strikeouts and walked five batters.

Stephen F. Austin 6, Pitt 5

Despite a comeback attempt and strong offensive performances from two freshmen, Pitt dropped its second consecutive game of the season.

After a back-and-forth seven innings, Pitt pulled ahead 5-4, only to lose the game in extra innings.

The Panthers out-hit the Lumberjacks, 8-5.

Freshman Francesca DiMaria had a multi-homer game. DiMaria, a replacement second baseman for the injured Angela Blackmon, went 2-for-4 at the plate.

“[DiMaria] is quite capable at the position,” Phalen said.

Hunter followed her opening game performance by going 2-for-3 with one RBI. Senior catcher Tiffany White also added an RBI.

Pickard belted a triple, among her two hits, as she scored one run and had one RBI.

Senior Nikki Gasti picked up the loss, despite a strongly pitched game. Gasti allowed four earned runs, two walks and struck out seven batters.

Pitt 10, Sam Houston State 2

The Panthers defeated the Bearkats Saturday in six innings via the eight-run mercy rule.

DiMaria continued her offensive onslaught with a perfect 3-for-3 day at the plate, which included a double, one run scored and her third RBI of the season.

Gill and Pickard each had two hits and scored two runs each, while White drove in her second run of the season.

Freshman Jessica Thomas connected for her first home run of the year. Senior third baseman Kelly Hulpa recorded a hit, run scored and a RBI.

Hunter started the game for Pitt and pitched 2 2/3 innings. Picking up her first collegiate victory, Hunter allowed six hits, two runs and had two strikeouts.

Gasti followed in 3 1/3 innings of relief to pick up the save. Gasti gave up only one hit to go along with her four strikeouts.

Houston 8, Pitt 4

Pitt dropped its third match of the weekend while Gasti recorded a personal milestone.

With two strikeouts in the loss, Gasti moved ahead of former teammate Gina Bessolo as the team’s all-time leader in strikeouts with 384. Gasti gave up seven hits, four walks and six runs to the Cougars.

“Gasti has gotten a lot of innings,” Phalen said. “She will end her career on a high note as she will just keep adding the strikeouts.”

Pepe came in for relief for two innings and gave up the final two runs.

The loss came after Pitt had an early 2-0 lead in the first inning. Hunter reached on a throwing error that scored Velazquez and Gill.

In the seventh inning, Pitt had back-to-back doubles from junior Heather Andrews and DiMaria. Both Panthers scored, but it wasn’t enough to mount a comeback.

Pitt 8, Texas Southern 0

The Panthers concluded their weekend tournament in fourth place as they shutout Texas Southern. Pepe picked up her first victory of the season, striking out seven and giving up only four hits.

“[Pepe] was a little shaky in her first outing,” Phalen said. “She came out and threw a really good game in her second start.”

Lisa McGregor and Pickard hit a home run for Pitt, to account for nine of the Panthers’ hits.

Pickard went 2 for 4, adding two runs and two RBIs. Hulpa had an RBI double while Velazquez stole her first base of the season.

DiMaria continued her domination from the plate, going 3 for 4, with two doubles, three RBIs and one run scored. DiMaria led the Panthers this weekend, batting .529 (9 for 14) with six RBIs.

“She was the highlight of the weekend,” Phalen said of DiMaria. “She had a phenomenal performance and did everything and more that we could have asked of her.”

Pitt travels to Charlotte, N.C., next weekend where they will take on College of Charleston, Charlotte, East Tennessee State and cross-town rival Robert Morris.