Pitt artist creates piece protesting Pitt’s neglect of arts

By HALI FELT

The hallways of the studio arts department are scarred with use. An exit light flickers.

The… The hallways of the studio arts department are scarred with use. An exit light flickers.

The neglect of the studio arts department and the plight of Pitt in general are the subject of Emily Bonina’s “Fourteen Points of Light” installation of non-flickering light bulbs.

The installation consists of 14 bare light bulbs strung across the terrace on the right side of the Frick Fine Arts Building.

The multimedia piece, installed on the grounds of the Frick building and in place Tuesday from 8 a.m. until 10 p.m., is, Bonina said, her attempt to “bring light to the situation” facing Pitt.

“I got the idea to do this because a friend and I have been thinking a lot about the increases in tuition and Nordenberg’s salary lately. The number 14 kept popping into my head,” said Bonina. “Then I noticed that there were 14 spaces on this structure.”

Each of the light bulbs hangs in one of the 14 spaces on the concrete structure.

In a department with 72 people enrolled as majors, Bonina said, “the department is grossly neglected.”

“Last year our big purchase was a paper cutter,” Bonina said.

In her artistic statement Bonina said that the studio arts department is ignored because it does not generate big revenue for the University.

Pitt Vice Chancellor for Public Affairs Robert Hill could not be reached for comment after hours.

The original plan for the installation allowed viewers to interact with the piece by posting thoughts, feelings and/or suggestions, but, Bonina said, “the wind was too much.”

She said she did, however, get an e-mail accusing her of “crucifying the chancellor.”

Bonina said that she was not attacking the chancellor but “simply trying to draw attention to the situation.”