Superior songwriting by Kathleen Edwards at Club Cafe

By Clinton Doggett

Kathleen Edwards

Saturday, 10:30 p.m.

Club Cafe, $10, 21+Kathleen Edwards

Saturday, 10:30 p.m.

Club Cafe, $10, 21+

(412) 431-4950

With the momentum of last year’s widely acclaimed Failer, an intimate 10-song exercise in alt-country and honesty, Kathleen Edwards has become the “it” singer-songwriter of late.

Heartbreaking and dripping with southern rock flavor, Edwards’ songs are complimented by lyrical charm, rough vocals and pure musical talent. Amid a depressingly large number of guitar-toting solo artists, this is what makes Edwards interesting. Oh yeah, that and she’s Canadian.

Born in Ottawa and raised overseas, Edwards picked up music at an early age, learning to play the violin at age 5 and training herself in classical music throughout her youth. After opting out of going to college, Edwards returned to Ottawa to pursue music after high school. The years following found the young, ambitious songwriter living the poor musician’s life: playing out at local clubs and eventually touring Canada in a Suburban, making just enough money to get to the next gig.

Last year, she finally ventured across the border, playing the South by Southeast Festival in Austin, Texas, and supporting Richard Buckner on his American tour. Needless to say, she caught somebody’s eye.

On Failer, Edwards’ musical influences bleed through as much as her emotions. You can hear a little Dylan, Whiskeytown, Ani diFranco and Aimee Mann amid her beautifully scenic, vivid songs. Despite these influences, Edwards’ style is hardly derivative, as she artfully incorporates these influences into a wonderful package of earnest, country-infused folk.

This Saturday, Kathleen Edwards will take the stage for a late show at Club Cafe. Be sure to make it.