Pitt’s women split two games

By SHAUNNA STUCK

The women’s basketball team’s perfect season came to an end Tuesday night against… The women’s basketball team’s perfect season came to an end Tuesday night against cross-town rival Duquesne. The heartbreaking two-point loss came just six days after senior guard Laine Selwyn had a breakout game and led the Panthers past St. Francis (PA).

With the loss, Pitt falls to 3-1 on the season and gained five votes in this week’s Associated Press Women’s Basketball Poll.

Pitt 70, St. Francis 61

Selwyn continued her perfection from the free-throw line as the Panthers visited the Red Flash (0-2) at DeGol Arena. Tying a school record with a perfect free throw performance (10 of 10), Selwyn has gone 16 for 16 from the line this season. The guard picked up her prowess at the line from last season, when she has made 41 of her last 43 free throw attempts.

Pitt dominated through the first half after giving the Red Flash an early 8-7 lead and held a 34-25 halftime advantage.

St. Francis got within one point of the Panthers with 11:48 remaining in the second half, but Selwyn rallied the Panthers with a jumper.

The Red Flash made another failed comeback attempt at the six-minute mark, but the Panther’s skill from the free-throw line silenced St. Francis, who committed 14 fouls in the second half. Pitt made its final 12 free throws, going 22 of 24 for the entire game.

The Panthers dominated St. Francis on the boards, 28-23, and from behind the arc, going 4 of 8 compared to the Red Flash’s 26.7 percent.

Selwyn added eight assists, a team-high six rebounds and four steals to go along with her 18 points.

Dallas Williams went 5 of 6 from the field, scoring 12 points and playing 36 minutes in the game. Amy Kunich added 13 points, three steals and three assists.

St. Francis’ big player was center Beth Swink, who tallied 20 points, four steals and 10 rebounds for the Red Flash. Tonjee Ward, scoring 15 points, joined Swink as the only St. Francis players scoring in double digits.

With the win, Pitt was 3-0 for the first time since the 1999-2000 season.

Duquesne 62, Pitt 60

In the 21st meeting between these rivals, a three-game winning streak was on the line for both combatants. Duquesne (4-1) won four of the last five games between the two schools, defeating Pitt last year 63-54.

The Panthers were looking to avenge last year’s loss, as they ventured to the A.J. Palumbo Center with hopes of going 4-0 for the first time since the 1998-1999 season.

A strong opening half and another physical performance from Selwyn was not enough, however, to lead the Panthers to victory.

Things looked good for Pitt before the game, as Duquesne’s leading scorer, junior Candace Futrell, was on the bench with an ankle injury.

After a 14-0 run at the six-minute mark, Pitt built an 11-point advantage over the Dukes and held a 28-22 halftime lead. For the half, the Panthers shot 48 percent from the field.

While Pitt dominated their last match from the foul line, poor free throw shooting cost them the game.

Kunich, who finished with 12 points and four assists, sunk two consecutive three-point shots with under three minutes left in the game before things fell apart for Pitt.

The Panthers, who only shot 44 percent from the line (8 for 18), missed their next five free throws.

Beth Friday stepped up and made the big plays for the Dukes to seal the victory.

“She is the type of player who can control a game,” Pitt head coach Traci Waites said. “When she wants the ball bad enough, she makes sure she gets it.”

With 35 seconds remaining, Friday sunk a foul shot that put Duquesne ahead. After Pitt guard Haley Harguth missed two free throws, Duke’s guard Shiri Sharon was fouled.

After making one of two attempts with 11 seconds remaining, Friday grabbed the offensive rebound, which led into a scuffle and was called a jump ball.

Pitt gained possession of the ball with 8.8 seconds on the clock. The Panthers’ hopes rested in the hands of Selwyn, who led all scorers with 22 points.

Selwyn drove the length of the court and fired up a shot. As the buzzer rang the ball bounced out. The Panthers lost.

“I wanted the ball in my hands,” Selwyn said. “I had been having some success with taking the ball to the hoop, but sometimes things happen.”

Selwyn, going six for nine from the line, tainted her recent free throw perfection. She also had seven boards to complement her 22 points.

Brooke Stewart tallied 15 points, including three three-pointers, while Williams added a team-high eight rebounds, four points and a technical foul.

Friday had a double double for Duquesne with 14 points and 14 boards. Aiga Bautre led the Dukes with 17 points.

The Panthers, who were out rebounded for the first time this season (33-29), will travel to the Florida Atlantic Tournament this weekend.