A one-woman army

By TONI BARTONE

Ani DiFranco

Tonight, 8 p.m.

Palace Theatre

Greensburg, Pa.

(412) 323-1919

$31.50… Ani DiFranco

Tonight, 8 p.m.

Palace Theatre

Greensburg, Pa.

(412) 323-1919

$31.50

The confessional punk/folk heroine who tackles issues of sexism, feminism and bisexuality with music, Ani DiFranco is touring on the strength of her second live recording, So Much Shouting, So Much Laughter, released in September.

The 2-disc album is a smattering of recent live recordings of DiFranco and her band, whose dynamic, eclectic sound still remembers its folk roots. The first disc is titled “Stray Cats” and the other is called “Girls Singing Night.” In the album’s liner notes, DiFranco calls it “a feral collection of set list standards and a few anomalies which have followed you home.”

“Girls Singing Night” is structured more like a single concert, even though its individual songs have been recorded in many different locales. Each track exemplifies DiFranco’s more female-oriented work. This side also begins with a sound bite of “Utah Philips quoting Mario Savio” in the opening track, “Ain’t That the Way.”

DiFranco, as most know, has been do-it-yourself since the ’80s, touring the club and coffeehouse circuit of Buffalo, N.Y., with only an acoustic guitar, later bypassing the corporate music industry to start up her own independent record label, Righteous Babe Records, which has subsequently released 14 albums.

But DiFranco’s avoiding big business only goes so far when one notices the ticket price – even though the price is worth paying to see such a phenomenal performer and person. DiFranco’s stop at the intimate Palace Theatre should feel like a warm meeting between friends for both old and new fans, but nevertheless, full of spontaneity.