Funky frog men

By JOSHUA COHEN

The Les Claypool Frog Brigade

Today, 8 p.m.

Metropol, $20

(412) 261-2221

Les Claypool,… The Les Claypool Frog Brigade

Today, 8 p.m.

Metropol, $20

(412) 261-2221

Les Claypool, the man who single-handedly brought bass playing to new levels of innovation, talent and ambience with Primus and Osterhead, is heading out on his first solo national tour.

The Les Claypool Frog Brigade’s first release, Purple Onion, is a collection of zany tracks that continue Claypool’s legacy as the one of the world’s leading creative front man. On Purple Onion, Claypool is joined by former Fishbone member Fish on drums and Mike Dillon on vibes, marimba, tabla and junk percussion. He is also joined by musicians Skerik and Eenor on tenor saxophone, guitar, backup vocals and the yali tambour.

The group’s unique sound is truly unclassifiable. The instrumentation is riddled with circus-like overtures while combining the inimitable bass playing and quirky lyrics of Claypool. The jam-band styling and feel of the group suggests an unpredictable live experience that is sure to be painted with oddball theatrics and unforgettable musicianship.

Claypool’s unique musical perspectives and deliveries have earned him a following of fans that span from the world’s leading musicians to junior high-schoolers looking for a giggle. Whether you find Claypool’s music entertaining, humorous or confusing, he is unquestionably one of the world’s leading talents and creative forces. His live appearances are a chance for music fans to watch a living legend in action.

If forward-thinking music is up your alley, you’ll want to swing over to Metropol on Thursday for a first-hand account. Don’t miss out on an intimate club experience with a group of musicians that challenge the boundaries of music as we know it.