Pitt in Hollywood brings ‘Night of the Living Dead’ actors, producer

By BEN GREINER

In 1968, zombies took over Pittsburgh in the low-budget horror movie, “Night of the Living… In 1968, zombies took over Pittsburgh in the low-budget horror movie, “Night of the Living Dead.” More than 30 years later, the zombies rose again to talk to Pitt students and faculty after a free screening of the film.

The Halloween night showing of the cult-classic was made possible by Pitt in Hollywood, a student group led by Pitt English professor Carl Kurlander, who was a writer on the hit show “Saved by the Bell: the New Class.”

After the movie, the film’s producer, Russ Streiner and other members of the cast and crew participated in an open forum discussion lead by Kurlander. They explained how they made “Night of the Living Dead” and encouraged audience members to get involved with low-budget films.

John Russo, the film’s co-producer, who started out making television commercials, said he grew tired of the field and wanted to move into the movie genre.

“I was bitching about fickle advertising agencies and decided I wanted to make a horror movie better than the junk Hollywood was turning out,” he said.

Streiner added a bit of encouragement to all prospective moviemakers.

“If you’re willing to use your wits and imagination, you can do anything,” said Streiner, a Pittsburgh native. “It takes a great deal of dedication to make movies.”

Financed mainly by family members and friends of the cast and crew, “Night of the Living Dead” was shot for about $60,000, according to Streiner. He added that the car used in the first scenes of the movie was actually his mother’s, so he had to return it between takes.

“We had a hokey premise,” Streiner said. “The film never really did explain what happened.”