Ellis Paul moves at the ‘speed of trees’ at Club Cafe

By BRIAN PALMERStaff Writer

Ellis Paul

Sunday, 7:30

$12 in advance, $14 at the door

Club Cafe, 21+…

Ellis Paul

Sunday, 7:30

$12 in advance, $14 at the door

Club Cafe, 21+

(412) 431-4950

A comfortable, relaxing feeling comes from listening to a brilliant folk artist.

An incredible voice that soothes any pain and guitar riffs that accentuate the gentle and hip folk style produced by singer/songwriter Ellis Paul provides listeners with this feeling. With his Rounder Records release of The Speed of Trees, his first album in five years, Ellis takes to the road and settles into Pittsburgh Sunday, playing in the relaxing confines of Club Cafe.

The Boston native has a pretty faithful fan base following that only continues to grow. A few of those fans include the directing duo, the Farrelly Brothers. Ellis has been featured in, “Me, Myself and Irene” and “Shallow Hal.” But despite picking up a fan base and having songs in movies, Ellis declined major label offers, opting to stay in Boston on the leading indie folk label Rounder.

In his decision to stay in Boston, Ellis sticks with his roots – no pun intended – and continues to create beautiful songs with great lines (“She fell to the mattress/ With the grace of an actress”) that tell sensational stories. Each song seems like a four-minute novel with a soundtrack of precious folk guitars in support.

Ellis Paul is sure to be a worthwhile show that will be a comfortable end to your weekend and a great start to the new week.