Indie rock from the Windy City

By TONI BARTONE

The Reputation

With Forward Motion, Owens Ring and Le Sonique

The Mr. Roboto Project… The Reputation

The Mr. Roboto Project

Tonight, 7 p.m.

$6

All ages

www.therobotoproject.org

Tonight, The Reputation will put a new spin on female musicians’ tendencies to caterwaul about subpar relationships, providing an answer to music aficionados who believe that female artists do nothing but. Fresh from Northwestern Law School, former Sarge frontwoman Elizabeth Elmore is coming to Pittsburgh with her new act, The Reputation.

Elmore prefers a slightly more shocking quality when writing lyrics. For example, she croons in a girlish voice on the track “For the Win,” “Should I meet you in a Milwaukee Ave. back alley or Mary’s hallway/ and yeah I know this has to end ’cause you’re just in it for the win/ I feel it every time I take those morning-after pills/ that’s why I’m glad you don’t come around much anymore.”

The Reputation plays mature power pop full of playful riffs, occasionally perforated with brass and interspersed with piano ballads. Their uniqueness lies in Elmore’s lyrical tartness and musical talent, which demonstrate her well-developed songwriting abilities and thick skin.

Elmore’s former band Sarge earned a mention from Rolling Stone around 1998 as a “hot band” that year, released three albums and then disbanded without a peep in December 1999. Elmore, who plays piano, mellotron, guitar and keyboards and sings for The Reputation, decided to head to law school. After two years, she formed The Reputation in Chicago along with bassist Joel Root, guitarist Sean Hulet and drummer Matt Espy, formerly of Atomicbombpocketknife.

The band’s self-titled April 2 debut is a strong one, as it maintains a mature pushing-thirtysomething attitude. The album boasts many guest appearances, especially that of Jay Bennett, formerly of Wilco, who plays piano on the last track, “Almost Blue,” an Elvis Costello cover. Check out The Reputation if you’re in the mood for some pop with punky lyrics.