Recent criticism of Colin Powell is entirely unwarranted

By BEN MAGID Columnist

Colin Powell, a slave? Harry Belafonte thinks so. Last week, in a radio interview in San… Colin Powell, a slave? Harry Belafonte thinks so. Last week, in a radio interview in San Diego, Belafonte compared the Secretary of State to a house slave who will say and do anything to please his master.

“Colin Powell has committed to come into the house of the master. When Colin Powell suggests something other than what the master wants to hear he will be turned back out to pasture,” Belafonte said.

Powell responded on “Larry King Live,” saying, “I think it is unfortunate that Harry used that characterization. I’m very proud to be serving my country once again. I’m very proud to be serving this president.”

Powell was polite and professional. Belafonte’s remarks were more than unfortunate. They were disgraceful, regressive and false. Powell has always been the type of man to stand firm in the face of injustice. He continues to address issues of race in America and is a staunch supporter of affirmative action.

Most recently, he has expressed thoughts about the possible war in Iraq that are more than a little out of step with the opinions most often heard from the Bush administration. He sees war as an absolute last resort. And has made that clear on more than one occasion.

I suppose Mr. Belafonte wasn’t listening.

Colin Powell is not a token figure in the White House. He was not appointed to his position to win votes or appease minorities. He earned it.

Powell grew up in the Bronx and attended the City College of New York. After receiving a degree in geology he accepted a commission in the Army. For 35 years, he worked his way up through the ranks, eventually becoming the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the highest military command in the United States.

He has served in several areas of conflict, including Vietnam and the Persian Gulf. He has been awarded the Purple Heart and Bronze Star, among other medals. On Jan. 20, 2001, he became this country’s 65th Secretary of State.

Powell’s success is result of his tenacity and intelligence, not ass-kissing. He faced bigotry many times throughout his career. He persevered because he understands something that Mr. Belafonte clearly does not: The best way to fight is from the inside.

He hasn’t abandoned his race in the pursuit of his goals. He has pursued his goals for his race, and for his country. He has faith in the ability for people and countries to change. He embraces Americans. Not just blacks, but whites, Asians, Hispanics and Arabs. Just as Martin Luther King Jr. did and Malcolm X was beginning to do. He is a practical man who confronts reality and fights to make it better.

With his comments, Belafonte has aligned himself with the likes of Al Sharpton and Louis Farakhan – men who believe and who have managed to convince others this country is innately and irreversibly racist, that white America is evil and equality in this country can never be achieved.

So then I ask Belfonte and his fellow pessimists and quitters, what is their solution? To fight from the outside, delivering only glancing blows that brush the face of racism? To spew divisive rhetoric and hateful lies? Maybe separate states for blacks and whites. Or perhaps the ‘Ol back to Africa movement. Well, if they so desire, then sayonara.

This country has had its fill of hate mongers. It would do us some good to shed a few pounds of ignorance.

Maybe Powell did say it best when he called Belafonte’s comments unfortunate. It is extremely unfortunate that a man who could use his fame to promote solidarity with a great American leader, who happens to be black, instead decides to use it to undermine the work of that leader and countless others who strive for peace and unity.

Belafonte should apologize to Powell and to all black Americans for making such an irresponsible and insulting comment. Better yet, he should just shut the hell up all together and stick to his music.

Ben Magid can be reached at [email protected].