Volleyball falls in third straight loss

By MICHAEL CUNNINGHAMStaff Writer

Coming off a five game thriller against Alabama-Birmingham, the Pitt volleyball team went on… Coming off a five game thriller against Alabama-Birmingham, the Pitt volleyball team went on the road for a pair of Big East contests last weekend.

The Panthers were looking to get back on the winning track against conference leader Notre Dame and the upstart Syracuse Orangewomen. But the Panthers managed only one victory in seven games on the road trip, and the Irish and the Orangewomen extended the Panthers’ losing streak to three games.

Notre Dame 3, Pitt 1

More than 800 people packed Notre Dame’s Joyce Center on Friday to watch two of the best teams in the Big East square off.

Pitt struck early in South Bend, Ind., winning the first game against the Irish 30-23. But Notre Dame settled down and won the next two games by a narrow 30-28 margin. Game four was all Fighting Irish, as Notre Dame sealed the victory with a decisive 30-13 win.

Middle hitter Megan Miller led the way for the Panthers (15-7 overall, 5-2 in the Big East) with 16 assists in the losing effort. Senior setter Carrie Norris notched match-high 51 assists and added 11 defensive digs for the double double.

Outside hitter Wendy Hatlestad added 14 kills to her previous career total of 1,005, and freshman middle hitter Madelyn Egan had 10 kills. Outside hitter Sarah Rollman racked up 13 defensive digs, and freshman Megan McGrane added 18 digs. With the victory, Notre Dame improved its record to 7-0 in the Big East and 16-5 overall.

Syracuse 3, Pitt 0

The attendance was much lower, but the results were the same for the Panthers, as Syracuse swept Pitt Sunday afternoon. All three of the games went back and forth, but the Orangewoman got the best of the Panthers by scores of 30-25, 30-26, and 30-27.

Rollman earned a double double for the Panthers with 10 kills and 11 digs. Miller had 10 kills as well, and Gina Ullery added another 10 kills and nine digs. For the second straight game, Norris led both teams with 32 assists and she added a game-high two service aces. McGrane led both teams with 20 digs.

The Panthers (15-8, 5-3) will try to reverse their fortunes this weekend when they visit New Jersey in the last leg of their five-game road swing to take on Rutgers on Friday and at Seton Hall on Sunday.