Life is but a song: at least it is in the movies

By SHANI ALSTONStaff Writer

Musical Extravaganza Week

Pittsburgh Filmmakers’ Regent Square Theater…

Musical Extravaganza Week

Pittsburgh Filmmakers’ Regent Square Theater

Through September

(412) 682-4111

Think life is but a song? You’re in luck because it’s Musical Extravaganza Week at the Pittsburgh Filmmakers’ Regent Square Theater. Running through September, the theater will show four different musicals to satisfy any immediate musical cravings.

Sure, you sang with “The Sound of Music,” you’re content with the Wizard of Oz, but the films featured at Musical Extravaganza Week are not your everyday, run-of-the-mill, spoonful-of-sugar variety. Think independent filmmakers and musical style. The musicals in the series come from four different countries setting the stage for some culturally diverse plots.

Sept. 6 to 12 showed the musicals “Amadeus” and “Lagaan: Once Upon a Time in India,” treating audiences to films set in Vienna and India.

Tonight the romantic comedy, “My Wife is an Actress,” opens. This French film tells the story of a famous actress, Charlotte, and her jealous husband who grows increasingly annoyed with her busy life.

The final musical in the series, a Mandarin production called “Happy Times,” opens Sept. 27. The film has a winding plot, revolving around Zhao, a man who wants to get married, and his relationships between his current girlfriend and her blind stepdaughter. “Happy Times” is in Mandarin with subtitles.

The Regent Square Theater is located at 1035 S. Braddock Ave. in Edgewood. For admission prices and current show times, call (412) 682-4111.