Still scrambling for a starter

By BRIAN GOLDMANStaff Writer

Even with a 27-14 victory over Ohio Saturday, hooting and hollering could be heard loud and… Even with a 27-14 victory over Ohio Saturday, hooting and hollering could be heard loud and clear from the Pitt fan base at Heinz Field. They were not impressed with the victory.

Yesterday, Pitt fans discovered from head coach Walt Harris that they didn’t see everything Pitt has to offer.

“Was it pretty?” Harris said, and then answered, “No … no. We tried to be simple in the opener.”

This Saturday won’t be a cakewalk for the Panthers as they play host to the No. 23 ranked team in the country, the Texas A’M Aggies.

The Aggies are a storied football team that had the sixth best winning percentage in the 1990’s, going 94-28-2. Harris knows the history, but is trying to put it off as just another game.

“Every game is as important as the next one,” Harris said. “Playing [Texas] A’M will get our respect. They are a formidable opponent.

“A win against them would be more then a win over Ohio in the national picture.”

As for the Panthers problems, Harris still doesn’t have a clear-cut running back, and will once again rotate in Brandon Miree, Raymond Kirkley and Marcus Furman.

“I’d love to see one guy take over that position,” Harris said. “We weren’t pleased at all with how we ran the ball Saturday. Some people played like they had never been in college football before.”

As for quarterback Rod Rutherford, Harris would not say anything negative. Rutherford will be the starter Saturday, and Tyler Palko will once again see playing time as the backup.

“Rod [Rutherford] is the best by far we have to offer,” Harris said. “I believe in Rod. I’ve said it all along. He’s the best quarterback, and when’s he’s not, I’ll tell you.”

However, faithful Harris is in Rutherford, he still wants to get Palko’s feet wet and will play him again Saturday. The sole reason is to make sure Palko is ready in case Rutherford goes down with an injury.

“I want to get Tyler [Palko] a series,” Harris said. “He’s one play away from being a starter baring an injury. I want to play him, not as a threat to Rod [Rutherford], but I’m trying to help him get ready.”

Texas A’M brings a similar type of 3-4 defense that Ohio showed. The one main difference is the size of the players the Aggies bring. The Aggies defense, nicknamed “the wrecking crew,” is among Harris’ top two in the nation.

“They [Texas A’M] are one of the two best defenses we will see this season,” Harris said. “They have a formidable stunt package on defense, but it’s the players they have doing it.”

Last weekend against Louisiana Lafayette, the Aggies achieved a remarkable feat on defense with every one of their secondary players recording an interception.

“That was unique,” Texas A’M head coach R.C. Slocum said. “This is one of the best secondaries we’ve had in years.”

Saturday’s game will be played at noon at Heinz Field. It will be televised nationally on ESPN.

Former Panthers make N.F.L.

Final cuts have been made for the upcoming pro football season and three Panthers from last year’s team have made the National Football League.

The Dallas Cowboys selected Antonio Bryant, who elected to forego his senior year at Pitt, in the second round. Heralded as the steal of the Draft, Bryant will most likely start for the Cowboys Sunday.

Ramon Walker and Bryan Knight were selected in the fifth round of the draft. Knight was drafted by the Chicago Bears, and Walker by the expansion Houston Texans. Both players made cuts and will serve as backups on Sunday.

“They all played hard for us,” Harris said. “I can’t wait until we get back to be a pipeline team for the NFL.”

Former Pirate makes his return to Pittsburgh as an Aggie

In the Major League Baseball draft of 1994, the Pittsburgh Pirates picked Mark Farris out of high school as the 11th overall pick. Farris, after hearing of his potential signing bonus, signed with the Pirates and told Texas A’M, whom he was heavily recruited by for football, he would not be attending the school.

Farris made it as high as double A before calling Slocum and asking him if he could return to Texas A’M and play quarterback. Slocum welcomed Farris with open arms, and now he is the starting quarterback for the Aggies.

“He [Farris] is an outstanding attribute to our team,” Slocum said. “He has experience and is a great passer as well.”

Farris is entering his third year as a starter and this weekend will make a return to the city whose team drafted him almost a decade ago.