Volleyball finishes third at Pittsburgh Invitational

By SHAUNNA STUCK

Fitzgerald Field House was a volleyball haven during the weekend as it was home to the annual… Fitzgerald Field House was a volleyball haven during the weekend as it was home to the annual Pittsburgh Invitational. Avid Panther volleyball fans turned out to watch coach Chris Beerman’s squad compete against a few of America’s top collegiate volleyball teams. The Atlantic Coast Conference 2001 regular season champions, the Duke Blue Devils (7-0), won the tournament defeating Pitt, Bowling Green and Indiana State. Pitt finished 1-2 this weekend.

Duke 3, Pitt 0

The Panthers opened the Pittsburgh Invitational Friday night when they faced a tough Blue Devil team, which had not lost a set in four straight games at the Loyola Marymount Invitational. Duke continued this dominating streak this weekend, defeating Pitt in three sets (30-25, 30-28, 30-24).

Three Panthers put up strong numbers in the loss. Junior outside hitter Sarah Rollman had nine kills and 10 digs, while junior Wendy Hatlestad had a game-leading 12 kills, eight digs and two blocks. Senior setter Carrie Norris added two service aces in the defeat. This moves Norris into seventh place on the Panthers’ all-time list with 105 service aces, surpassing Marcia Thiesen.

Indiana State 3, Pitt 0

The Active Ankle Invitational winners, the Sycamores, shut out the Panthers Saturday afternoon. Norris and Hatlestad had powerful showings once again for Pitt. Norris attained a match-high 41 assists while Hatlestad added 12 kills and seven digs. Sophomore middle hitter, Megan Miller, led both teams with 13 kills and committed just two errors in 22 attempts, leaving her with a .455 hitting percentage.

Pitt 3, Bowling Green 1

The Saturday nightcap of the Pittsburgh Invitational featured some sibling rivalry on the court as Pitt battled the 2001 Mid-American Conference East Division Champions, the Bowling Green Falcons. Carrie Norris, who recorded a double double with 60 assists and 13 digs, and freshman teammate Kim Norris, defeated their Falcon sister, Susie.

Bowling Green’s Susie Norris completed her second double double (18 kills and 17 digs) of the tournament against the Panthers. Rollman had a double double of her own with 19 kills and 12 digs. The Panthers rolled on to defeat the Falcons in three straight matches after losing the first set (24-30, 30-26, 30-24, 32-30).

Carrie Norris was the sole Panther named to the All-Tournament Team after leading the tournament with an average of 13.1 assists per game. Norris was also named the Big East Co-Player of the Week and moved into sixth place in the Big East for assists with an average of 10.5 per game.

The Panthers (3-4) will next compete in the Coastal Carolina Tournament and battle Savannah State, Coastal Carolina and Western Carolina this weekend. They return home to a six-game stand, starting with cross-town rival Duquesne, Sept. 17.