A quiet storm

By CLINTON DOGGETT

Spokane

Wednesday, August 28

Club Cafe

(412) 431-4950

… Spokane

Wednesday, August 28

Club Cafe

(412) 431-4950

During the making of Spokane’s newest record, Able Bodies, the group had a life-changing experience. They managed to walk away uninjured from an interstate accident in which their car swerved and overturned twice. According to a press release, this experience had quite a profound influence on the making of their record, which is the group’s fourth release in the last two years.

Able Bodies, released earlier this year, is a dark and quiet record filled with pretty guitars, violins and whispery vocals. It sounds like a soundtrack to a really sad film. On the title track, which was conceived shortly after the car accident, frontman Rick Alverson sings “Able bodies climb/Or they’re left behind.” Alverson, formerly of the band Drunk, is known for his melancholic and introspective lyrics.

Spokane’s forte lies in creating an intense atmosphere with their music, using vibes and tones that drift on and on. Their music is delicate and complex, constantly building in tension but never breaking. It’s truly pleasant to the ear.

If you enjoy sitting in a low-lit room and listening to Nick Drake or Red House Painters, you should bring your able body down to Club Cafe in the South Side tonight for Spokane’s set. It will be worth the trip.