From and of the earth

By LESLIE HOFFMAN

New Works by Sharif Bey

Conney M. Kimbo Gallery

William Pitt Union

In the urban… New Works by Sharif Bey

Conney M. Kimbo Gallery

William Pitt Union

In the urban landscape Pitt inhabits, it’s hard to find nature that’s really all that natural. Even in the safe confines of green Schenley Park and the grassy hills surrounding the Cathedral of Learning, the presence of sidewalks, roads and automobile exhaust is never far away.

Sharif Bey’s ceramics sit against this backdrop in the Gallery on the ground floor of the William Pitt Union. Organized by Pitt Program Council, the Bey exhibit shows a sample of the potter’s organic ceramic work.

The natural colors of Bey’s teapots and jars reflect the soil from which the clay comes. Unlike other ceramics with delicate colors and textures, Bey’s art is chunky and thick and brings to mind harmony with nature.

The best examples of Bey’s pieces are his teapots. Delicate yet solid, the teapots look like something the Ewoks might use in their jungle treehouses or something that a hermit in a fairytale forest might keep to brew his green tea.

The teapots are the most aesthetically pleasing items in the exhibit and for the most part, are probably the most practical. Bey’s large pots and urns would probably work best as decor. Some of the other teapots don’t seem to have been designed for functional purposes either.

The “Salt Fired Temoulku Teapots” have ceramic handles that arch over their lids. Although a rich texture covers the surface of the pot, it still seems like the handle would easily break off if bumped, and it doesn’t look like hot water could easily be poured into the belly of the container. Rich brown color and shiny glaze give the pots a glossy sheen. Squared textures help the pots to look like tiny pinecones.

Some of the teapots that could be used in tea service include the bamboo-handled “Salt fired Teapot with Green Slip.” The slightly ribbed reddish brown container looks like it could hold about a half a gallon of tea, and a complementary green leafy image adorns the top of the lid and the neck of the pot. This pretty pot is something anyone would be satisfied to use.

Some of the larger jars and pots, though, look like great accents for the home. “Large Green Jar” would provide a handsome touch to a home decorated with Asian themes. The shape of the angled, square jar as well as its jade green color evoke Asian sensibilities by bringing to mind the shape and structure of a pagoda.

Asian and African influences follow easily in Bey’s artwork, considering his emphasis on the natural. Elephants play a part in several jars present in the exhibit and recall a refined tribal sentiment.

The natural and the domestic elements of Bey’s exhibit are a comforting reminder of simplicity and home, and will help evoke feelings of calm to anyone who views or uses his artwork.