Commencement speaker is a ‘social entrepreneur’

William Strickland Jr. is a Pitt trustee and alum, president of the Manchester Craftsman’s… William Strickland Jr. is a Pitt trustee and alum, president of the Manchester Craftsman’s Guild and Bidwell Training Center, a “social entrepreneur” – according to Harvard Business School – and a Grammy-winning jazz musician. He is also this year’s commencement speaker.

Strickland graduated in 1970 with a bachelor’s degree in history. That was two years after he founded the Manchester Craftsman’s Guild. The Guild offers service and arts training for urban youth and evening classes for adults, as well as lectures and master classes. It offers fellowships to develop social entrepreneurship among nonprofit executives. The Bidwell Training Center operates similarly, offering adult vocational training.

In a press release, Chancellor Mark Nordenberg praised Strickland as one of Pitt’s most distinguished alumni.

“[He is] one of our University’s most accomplished, interesting and inspirational graduates,” he said.

Often, commencement speakers’ selection is a bit of fundraising strategy, according to Slippery Rock University spokesman Ross Feltz. Slippery Rock will host former school president Herb Reinhard Jr. this year.

“[We] look for people that can bring honor, distinction or a contribution to the university,” he said. “[Someone] with PR value.”

At Slippery Rock, the decision to invite a commencement speaker is made by a committee of the university president, four vice presidents, the president’s assistant and the director of public relations.

“Typically,” Feltz said, “students don’t really care that much