Summer concerts bring a variety of tunes to the Steel City

By A&E Staff

The A&E staff picks their top summer concerts in and around Pittsburgh.

Tyler, the Creator

June 4

Stage AE

Frontman and creative leader of the young hip-hop collective Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All, Tyler, the Creator brings his abrasive brand of rap music to Stage AE on June 4. Those less inclined toward rowdy crowds and angry teenagers should stay away. It won’t be a Slayer concert, but the atmosphere also won’t be all that far off. Also, be prepared to catch a flying rap star at some point during the evening. Stage dives are kind of his thing. Those new to Tyler shouldn’t be put off by his aggressive style. Between the curses and threats, there is real honesty and vulnerability, making his music more endearing than it seems. At the very least, you’ll have a fun time and might work up a nice sweat in the process.

Jeff Tweedy

June 6

Three Rivers Arts Festival

Jeff Tweedy, the frontman of Wilco, has never played a solo show in Pittsburgh before. The band last stopped in town promoting Wilco (The Album) in 2010. The band’s been teasing a new album on its Facebook page for the past year, so fans could possibly be treated to some new material — or a cover of Beyonce’s “Single Ladies.”  Tweedy’s solo shows are known for a more relaxed coffee-house atmosphere with a handful of cover songs and audience requests. Like the other festival events, Tweedy’s show will be a free concert in a festival that also features Trampled By Turtles, Kaiser Chiefs, Amos Lee, Jake Bugg and more.

Luke Bryan

June 21

Heinz Field

Luke Bryan will take the stage at Heinz Field on June 21 this year, taking the place of the infamous annual Kenny Chesney concert. His That’s My Kind of Night tour will also feature Dierks Bentley, Lee Brice and Cole Swindell. 

But will it make a difference whether or not it’s Kenny Chesney or Luke Bryan up on the stage? Of Bryan’s two No. 1 albums last year, both had the word “party” in the title. Truthfully, the music could be a sideshow to the tailgate scene, and country instruments will be minimal in Bryan’s set. Rock music holds a heavy influence over this “bro country” superstar, and the sound of the electric guitar will ring more prominently than any fiddle or banjo. Nevertheless, Bryan’s show will be engaging and probably dubbed as charming by many concertgoers. 

Dave Matthews Band

June 28

First Niagara Pavillion

Since I’ve seen Dave Matthews Band 19 times in concert — and by the end of the summer, that number will rise to 23 times — I might be a little biased in saying that this could be the best show of the summer. That being said, I know that Dave, as his biggest fans casually call him, gets a bad rap for being an idol to frat boys in cargo shorts and snapbacks. If you find that you can put up with some of those fans, you’ll be in for a big treat.

This particular summer, DMB will try out a new type of tour. A Very Special Evening with Dave Matthews Band will feature a two-set show — one as a traditional DMB show and one acoustic set. Since this is the first time the band has tried such an event, even the most die-hard fans have no idea what to expect. With the tour beginning on May 16 in The Woodlands, Texas, there will be plenty of time before Dave and his crew arrive in Pittsburgh to see what the two-set show will actually entail.

Brand New

July 10

Stage AE

Long Island-native band Brand New have been around since 2000 with a unique alternative sound that changes on every album and distinctive lyrics influenced by Morrissey and The Smiths. Since their formation — after lead singer Jesse Lacey angrily left Taking Back Sunday  — they have released four studio albums with songs such as “Seventy Times 7,” “The Quiet Things that No One Ever Knows” and “Sowing Season,” and have sold out numerous shows in Pittsburgh. Even though the group hasn’t released any new albums since Daisy in 2009, Brand New’s premiere at Stage AE will definitely be a show to remember, since the band has only played at Club Zoo in the last three years. Pittsburgh’s newest venue on the North Shore always creates an impressive atmosphere for any act that plays there.