Get outta town: A summer road trip guide for Pitt students

By Grace Kelly / Staff Writer

Whether you’re graduating or still have a couple years of school left, a road trip is a quintessential American experience. If your budget has dipped onto the low side after two semesters of spending, consider these nearby places that won’t break the bank or your 1998 Ford Escort instead of the traditional cross-country trailblazing. 

Cleveland:

While people tend to have a somewhat blase attitude toward C-Town, it does have its redeeming qualities and warrants a stop. So what is there to do in Cleveland? After completing a two-hour drive, perhaps food is the first thing on your mind. Stop by legendary restaurant The Big Egg and load up on a plateful of sausage, eggs sunnyside up and pancakes doused in maple syrup. 

After indulging in your carb cravings, take a walk in one of the many Lake Metroparks. After driving and eating your weight in pancakes, stretching those glutes amid the verdant green parks and fit joggers is sure to inspire a workout of your own.

Once you feel you have burned a sufficient amount of calories, head on over to the Cleveland Museum of Art for a culture fix. More than 100 years old, the museum has one of the most expansive collections of art in the country, as well as free admission. Be sure to check out the contemporary art collection, complete with Damien Hirst’s stained glass made out of butterflies. Oh, and don’t forget the Rock ‘n Roll Hall of Fame.

And if you’re a sports fan, perhaps swing by a Cleveland Indians game for the complete American experience. 

Detroit:

Yes, I did write Detroit — and I don’t mean Detroit, Ore., (it does exist). Now I’m not suggesting you stay a week in the struggling city, but hit these hotspots and you will be glad you braved the stereotypes. 

First, stop by the Motown Historical Museum, the headquarters of Motown record company and where Marvin Gaye, The Supremes and the other hit bands of Hitsville USA got their start. 

After stepping back into the glory days of Detroit, head over to the Detroit Institute of Art. Like most of Detroit, the museum is struggling as a result of the economy, and there has been talk of selling some of the collection. But if there’s one thing to see in the city, it’s the Detroit Industry Murals by Diego Rivera. The murals were commissioned by the museum and reflect the industrial past that defined the city. Take a few minutes to soak in the details of these overwhelming murals, which display Rivera’s depiction of the hope the United States had in industry and technology in years past. 

Before you depart from the Motor City, grab dinner at Slows Bar-B-Q, a cult favorite for its Carolina pulled-pork sandwich, oozing with smoky goodness and crisp slaw to top it off.

Toronto:

Now it’s time to hop the border, so make sure you brought your passport. The Queen City has such a variety of activities you might consider an extended stay in the provincial capital of Ontario. 

For nature-lovers, Niagara Falls is a must. Marvel in the glories of nature — a bit of a change from the industrial landscapes thus visited. After getting your nature fix, head to the CN Tower, a man-made wonder that provides a gorgeous panoramic view of the city splayed right before your eyes. 

And if you aren’t sick of museums by this point, check out the Royal Ontario Museum, complete with the “Stairs of Wonder” laden with cabinets of curiosities certain to get a chuckle out of you. 

After wandering around the city and sightseeing — which I suggest you do — grab a bite at one of the eateries at hand. Since Toronto is a city of immigrants, your food options range from dim sum to Greek souvlaki, and if you’re looking for some libations, check out the Toronto Sour at The Harbord Room. It has maple syrup in it — enough said. 

Buffalo:

Ah, Buffalo — The City of Good Neighbors and copious amounts of snow. Since there hasn’t been any mention of shopping on our road trip, head to the trendy Elmwood Village and get your wallet ready. Shop ‘til you drop, or more accurately, until you realize you don’t have enough gas money to get you back to Pittsburgh. 

After splurging or wistfully admiring, head to Delaware Park, part of the Buffalo Olmsted Parks Conservancy. Admire the splendor of nature with two lakes, a rose garden and the tranquil calm of a Japanese garden. 

Later, check out the contemporary art at the Albright-Knox Art Gallery, home to the largest-ever scribble drawing by Sol LeWitt, and then finish off the day with some classic Buffalo wings at the Anchor Bar.

As your car coasts back to Pittsburgh on fumes, the unconventional road trip comes to a close. You come back with stories, laughs and memories of the time you bucked tradition and didn’t sit at home playing video games all summer. That is what summer is for: exploring and giving unusual and off-the-radar places a chance.