Women’s Basketball: Season ends with loss to Wake Forest in ACC Tournament

Pitt women’s basketball couldn’t keep up with Wake Forest Wednesday night, as the Demon Deacons pulled away in the second half to end the Panthers’ season with a 72-58 victory.

The Panthers (11-20, 3-14 ACC) trailed by just six at halftime and closed the gap to four points with a a layup by Brianna Kiesel and another from Ashlee Anderson made the score 38-34. 

But Pitt never came any closer as Wake Forest used a 12-0 run to open up a 16-point lead that put the Demon Deacons comfortably ahead for the rest of the game. 

Asia Logan posted a double-double with 18 points and 12 rebounds for the Panthers, while Kiesel finished with 12 points. But they were out-done by Wake Forests’s pair of 20-point scorers.

Dearica Hamby led Wake Forest with a double-double of 25 points on 10-of-19 shooting and 16 rebounds. The forward nearly posted a triple-double with eight assists. 

Guard Chelsea Douglas supported her teammate with another 20 points which included four 3-pointers. 

Hamby’s interior presence helped Wake Forest dominate the glass with a 45-31 rebounding advantage. 

Defensively, the Demon Deacons limited Pitt to just 35 percent shooting on 21-of-60 shot attempts. The Panthers couldn’t stop Wake Forest on the other end as their opposition finished with a 47 percent clip from the field on 27-of-57 shooting.

Pitt’s loss in the first round of a conference tournament marks the third year in a row that the Panthers failed to advance beyond their first game.