Softball: Panthers swept by N.C. State in first ACC series

Pitt softball suffered a sweep in its first three games in Atlantic Coast Conference play this weekend against the North Carolina State Wolfpack in Raleigh, N.C. The Panthers (8-11, 0-3 ACC) managed just three runs all weekend while the Wolfpack (13-6,6-0 ACC) scored 19 to handle Pitt with ease.

Game 1: N.C. State 9, Pitt 0 (5 Innings)

The Panthers were outhit 11-3 in their first ACC matchup as the Wolfpack scored nine runs in the first of two games Saturday.

Pitcher Savannah King (5-6) suffered the loss as she surrendered six runs on nine hits and three walks through two and two-thirds innings. Alexa Larkin relieved King but allowed another three runs on to cross in one and one-third  inning of work.

King walked three batters in the bottom half of the first inning and with back-to-back singles by N.C. State’s second baseman Chelsea Tate and left fielder Nadia Kemp, the Wolfpack was able to take a 2-0 lead.

The third inning also was a big inning for N.C. State as the first four batters of the frame all got on base with singles. N.C. State recorded two more hits while scoring four runs in the inning before King was taken out of the game.

In the bottom of the fourth, Larkin walked a batter and gave up a single then allowed a three-run home run to Tate.

Game 2: N.C. State 5, Pitt 2

Pitt was able to get on the board in the second game of the doubleheader but fell short of winning their first ACC game with a 5-2 loss.

Wolfpack shortstop Renada Davis led off the game with a single and was brought home thanks to a double hit by designated player Hanna Sommer.

N.C. State extended its lead to three runs in the next inning when Lana Van Dyken drove two runs in with a bases-loaded single.

In the fourth, the Wolfpack plated another run as King (5-7) threw a wild pitch that brought home a batter that she had hit with a pitch earlier in the frame.

Down 4-0 in the top of the fifth, Tori Nirschl hit a two-run home run to center field to cut the deficit in half. But N.C. State added an insurance run in the sixth with a RBI single by pinch-hitter Morgan Tharrington.

Game 3: N.C. State 5, Pitt 1

In their series finale, the Panthers continued to struggle at the plate in another loss while being out-hit 10-3.

N.C. State’s bats were swinging throughout the game as each inning’s lead-off batter reached base.

To start off the bottom of the first, Davis hit a double down the left field line and was eventually brought home on a sacrifice fly by Sommer.

N.C. State struck again in the second inning when Kemp scored after a wild pitch and error by Pitt catcher Kathryn Duran to give the Wolfpack a 2-0 lead.

Pitt scored its only run of the game in the top of the fifth when left fielder Ashlee Sills stole second then scored after catcher Molly Hutchinson’s throw hit Sills’ helmet and bounced out to the warning track.The stroke of good fortune brought the Panthers within one run of the Wolfpack in the fifth.

But the mistake didn’t cost N.C. State, though, as the team responded with three runs in the bottom of the frame on a two-run single by Sommer and Leah Jones’ basehit to take a 5-1 lead.

Pitt had an opportunity to rally in the top of the seventh with Carissa Throckmorton and Maggie Sevilla leading off the frame with back-to-back singles, then reaching scoring position on a passed ball. But they were stranded there as Carly Thea struck and Katherine Kramer and King each grounded out to end the contest.