Israel Defense Forces veteran speaks at Pitt

By Amy Friedenberger

A veteran of the Israel Defense Forces visited Pitt’s campus last night to speak about the… A veteran of the Israel Defense Forces visited Pitt’s campus last night to speak about the cost of conflict. His speech attracted both controversy and praise from student groups.

Sgt. Benjamin Anthony, a 30-year-old reserve combat soldier for the IDF, spoke to about 100 students from behind a podium displaying an Israeli flag in the Lower Lounge of the William Pitt Union. He said he was not speaking on behalf of the IDF.

The lecture, called “Our Soldiers Speak,” described in vivid detail the costs and horrors of war. The main topic of the presentation, however, was the values that soldiers share when facing war.

About 20 protesters arrived before the lecture, dressed completely in black. Once Anthony began the lecture, these individuals stood up and put blue tape across their lips.

“Unfortunately, I have seen this before,” Anthony said. “And I apologize for their discourse.”

About 15 minutes into the lecture, the protesters walked out the door.

Students for Justice in Palestine President Sarah Moawad said that her group was protesting the event to bring attention to the “war crimes” against Palestinians. A group of people walked out of the Union and began chanting, “Free, free Palestine,” walking around to the windows of the Lower Lounge that face Bigelow Boulevard.

As the protesters pressed signs against the window panes, Anthony described dead soldiers he passed while marching along a dirt path with other soldiers.

He said that he still sees the dead soldiers.

“Our task was to complete their mission,” he said.

Throughout the lecture, Anthony mentioned the role of the media and its representation of the State of Israel. He said the media cannot put the stories into words because the journalists who write about what is going on have not lived it.

The sergeant conveyed this sentiment through a story about 18-year-old sharp shooters, describing a reality most journalists never directly encounter.

“Through the scope are eyes and tears, and he must make a decision,” Anthony said. After a brief pause, he added, “In roughly that second, that decision has been made.”

Anthony said that he knows that students might feel discouraged by the graphic images of the conflict coming out of Gaza and that the headlines can seem troubling.

“The easiest thing to do during the media onslaught is to lower your heads,” Anthony said. “But you do not do that. We look to you to hold the line of truth.”

He left the audience with a quote, translated from Hebrew, that is inscribed on anything that is given to the soldiers in the IDF.

“When you go out to do battle against the enemy and see horses and chariots and an army more numerous than yours, you will not fear them because the Lord your God will be with you,” he said.

Anthony, who was raised in the United Kingdom, said that he joined the IDF because he faced anti-Semitism growing up. He said that he wanted others to be free from anti-Semitism.

Pittsburgh Israel Public Affairs Committee President Samantha Vinokor said she met Anthony last June while in Israel at a lecture session for the Committee for Accuracy in Middle East Reporting in America. She said that he thought he would be beneficial for students to hear from because he gives a first hand glimpse at what soldiers go through.

Hillel President Mia Jacobs said that it is important to discuss the topic of Israel beyond the war and politics.

“Especially on this campus, the politics get in the way of what really matters,” Jacobs said. “And what really matters is the existence of the State of Israel.”

Anthony made comments on similar lines when Panthers for Israel Business Manager Micah Toll asked him about the importance of student activism on campus.

“What you do today affects our lives tomorrow, affects the lives in Israel,” Anthony said.

PIPAC, Panthers for Israel, Hillel, Chabad House, College Republicans, CAMERA, the

David Project and Hasbara Fellowships hosted the event.