Pitt police blotter: 9/17-9/23

By The Pitt News Staff

Tuesday, Sept. 17

9:18 a.m. — Pitt police were assigned to check the delivery of packages at 3501 Fifth Ave. Results were negative.

9:30 a.m. — A fire alarm was activated at 130 DeSoto St. The alarm turned out to be false and was set off by construction.

10:56 a.m. — An individual at 315 S. Bellefield Ave. reported that their cell phone was stolen. An investigation is pending.

2:13 p.m. — An individual reported his vehicle damaged in a parking lot at 3450 S. Water St. An investigation is pending.

7:08 p.m. — A citation for marijuana and disorderly conduct was issued to a non-affiliate at 3900 Fifth Ave.

8:36 p.m. — An individual was issued multiple citations and their vehicle was towed during a traffic stop on Bigelow Boulevard.

11:36 p.m. — An individual reported losing keys at 3501 Terrace St.

11:50 p.m. — Citations for marijuana and disorderly conduct were issued to three students at 230 S. Bouquet St.

Wednesday, Sept. 18

12:05 a.m. — Pitt police assisted with a notification at 3955 Forbes Ave.

1:02 a.m. — Pitt police assisted Magee-Womens Hospital security with a suspicious person at 300 Halket St. The information was passed along to the Pitt Police Department.

1:31 a.m. — Officers participated in a community relations meeting at 4227 Fifth Ave.

9:15 a.m. — An individual reported they left their book bag unattended and upon returning, it was gone. An investigation is pending.

9:16 a.m. — A guard at O’Hara Garage reported finding two used syringes in the bushes. Pitt police confiscated them and took them to UPMC Presbyterian for disposal.

10:12 a.m. — Pitt police received a report of an individual who was feeling ill. City medics transported the individual to UPMC Presbyterian.

12:40 p.m. — An individual at Barco Law Building reported that their laptop was stolen. An investigation is pending.

1:13 p.m. — An individual left their laptop unattended at Fifth and Ruskin avenues and upon returning, it was gone. An investigation is pending.

5:35 p.m. — A manager at the University Store on Fifth reported that two individuals walked into the store wanting to sell back books worth a lot of money and felt it was suspicious.

6:38 p.m. — Pitt police assisted city police with a report of a suspicious package. The contents were X-rayed with negative results.

Thursday, Sept. 19

1:28 a.m.—The smell of marijuana was reported on Roberto Clemente Drive. The individuals on the scene were identified and no drugs or paraphernalia were found.

5:17 a.m.—An individual was reported as feeling ill at Bruce Hall. City Medics responded and transported the individual to UPMC Presbyterian Hospital.

8:48 a.m.—Pitt police assisted City Police with a bicyclist involved in an accident at Forbes Avenue and S. Craig Street.

10:17 a.m.—Pitt police assisted Penn Hills Police with a bomb threat at Penn Hills High School. The building was searched with negative results.

12:42 p.m.—A false fire alarm was set off at Wesley W. Posvar Hall. No smoke or fire was detected. City Fire cleared the building.

1:49 p.m.—Pitt police received the following reports of alcohol violations at the Public Safety Building: 

1. On August 31, 2013 at 1:07 a.m. two students were found in possession of alcohol in Panther Hall and were referred for judicial action.

2. On September 7, 2013 at 2:13 a.m. a student was found in possession of alcohol in Forbes Hall and was referred for judicial action.

3. On September 7, 2013 at 9:45 a.m. two students were found in possession of alcohol in Sutherland Hall and referred for judicial action.

4. On September 8, 2013 at 1:03 a.m. three students were found in possession of alcohol in Sutherland Hall and referred for judicial action.

5. On September 13, 2013 at 9:33 p.m. four students were found in possession of alcohol in Forbes Hall and referred for judicial action.

2:30 p.m.—A false fire alarm was activated due to a malfunction in the system. City Fire responded and cleared the call.

3:36 p.m.—An individual at the Cathedral of Learning reported that she was being harassed/threatened by a known individual. An investigation is pending.

9:17 p.m.—During a traffic stop at Forbes Avenue and Oakland Avenue it was determined that an individual had a suspended license. The vehicle was towed and several citations were issued to the driver.

Friday, September 20, 2013

12:29 a.m.—Pitt police assisted City Police with a foot pursuit. The actors were taken into custody.

1:19 a.m.—Pitt police assisted City Police with conducting roving foot patrols in South Oakland.

1:41 a.m.—Pitt police assisted City Police with a reported robbery. The actor was taken into custody.

7:36 a.m.—A false fire alarm was activated at Salk Hall due to construction. City Fire responded and cleared the call.

8:29 a.m.—Pitt police assisted City Police with a motor vehicle accident at Fifth and Craft avenues. 

11:10 a.m.—A false fire alarm was activated at the Nuclear Physics Lab due to a dust cover that was accidentally knocked off the smoke detector.

11:26 a.m.—A wallet was recovered at Euler Way. The owner was notified and the wallet was placed in an evidence locker.

12:04 p.m.—Medicine was recovered at Thaw Hall and placed in an evidence locker.

2:17 p.m.—A false fire alarm was activated at Holland Hall due to construction. City Fire responded and cleared the call.

2:55 p.m.—Pitt police responded to a door alarm at Biomedical Science Tower 3. The area was checked with negative results. 

5:48 p.m.—During a traffic stop at 3942 Forbes Ave. It was determined the driver had a suspended license. The driver was issued three traffic citations and the vehicle was towed. 

8:39 p.m.—Pitt police responded to a report of an individual who was having trouble breathing at Phi Kappa Pi. City Medics responded and transported the person to UPMC Presbyterian Hospital. 

9:29 p.m.—Pitt police responded to a report of a suspicious person in front of Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic. The individual was identified and allowed admittance to WPIC by the staff. 

11:25 p.m.—Pitt police issued a citation for underage drinking at Ruskin Hall. 

11:53 p.m.—Pitt police  issued a citation for underage drinking at Louisa and Semple streets. 

Saturday, September 21, 2013

12:30 a.m.—Pitt police  responded to a false fire alarm activation in Nordenberg Hall. City Fire responded and cleared the call. 

12:37 a.m.—Pitt police issued a citation for underage drinking in Nordenberg Hall. 

1:17 a.m.—Pitt police assisted City police with an intoxicated female at Bates St and McKee Pl. 

2:25 a.m.—Pitt police  issued a citation for marijuana and disorderly conduct at Lothrop Hall. 

2:50 a.m.—Pitt police conducted roving foot patrols of the South Oakland area. 

3:36 a.m.—Pitt police assisted City police with a report of an individual who had been shot in the face at 252 Parkman Ave. 

3:59 p.m.—Pitt police responded to a report of a tenant dispute between a current and former occupant on Melba Pl. Both parties were advised. 

4:13 p.m.—Pitt police  responded to a false fire alarm activation in Victoria Building. City Fire responded and cleared the call. 

5:35 p.m.—Pitt police responded to a report of a motor vehicle accident involving a university-owned vehicle at Craig St and Fifth Ave. There were no injuries and both parties exchanged driver’s information. 

6:00 p.m.—Pitt police assisted City police with a disorderly individual at 3601 Forbes Ave. 

8:22 p.m.—Pitt police responded to a report of a motor vehicle accident involving a Safe Rider Shuttle Bus at Bates St and Zulema St. No injuries were reported and both parites exchanged driver’s information. 

10:06 p.m.—Pitt police responded to the report of an individual who had cut their hand in Litchfield Tower B. The individual was transported to UPMC Presbyterian Hospital. 

Sunday, September 22, 2013 

12:29 a.m.—Pitt police issued a citation for underage drinking in Ruskin Hall.  

1:45 a.m.—Pitt police issued a citation for underage drinking in Litchfield Tower B. 

2:03 a.m.—Pitt police arrested four individuals for disorderly conduct and harassment on Meyran Ave. 

11:10 a.m.—Pitt police responded to a report that the front door window was shattered at Sigma Alpha Epsilon. An investigation is pending. 

2:05 p.m.—Pitt police responded to a false fire alarm activation in Nordenberg Hall, due to burnt food. City Fire responded and cleared the call. 

Monday, September 23, 2013

2:33 a.m.—Pitt police responded to a false fire alarm activation in Salk Hall due to an engine that overheated in the basement area. City Fire responded and cleared the call. 

5:45 a.m.—Pitt police recovered a debit card and ID on Allequippa St. The items were placed in an evidence locker.