New York Knicks forward Precious Achiuwa (5) shoots over Philadelphia 76ers guard Kelly Oubre Jr., rear, in red, during the first half of an NBA basketball game in New York on Sunday, March 10, 2024. (AP Photo/Peter K. Afriyie)
Column | Former Villanova fanatic watches “Nova Knicks” take down Sixers in NBA Playoffs
By Aidan Kasner, Sports Editor • May 23, 2024
Opinion | Do not arrest peaceful protesters
By Livia LaMarca, Assistant Opinions Editor • May 23, 2024

Woman dead after large steel cylinder rolled away from Petersen Events Center construction site

A woman died after she was hit by a large cylindrical steel drum that rolled away from the construction site by the Petersen Events Center on May 3.

The woman was walking with her colleagues when the cylinder rolled down the construction site, broke through construction fencing and struck her on the sidewalk, according to a statement from Pittsburgh Public Safety Public Information Officer Emily Bourne. Medics pronounced her dead at the scene at 10:45 a.m.

“The City of Pittsburgh and Occupational Safety and Health Administration will lead the investigation with the full support of the University,” said University spokesperson Jared Stonesifer in a statement. “We offer our sincere condolences to the family and friends of the victim.”

Stonesifer said “no other injuries have been reported” due to this incident and added that LifeSolutions and the University Counseling Center are available to support University community members.

Spencer Levering, Senior Staff Writer