Pitt football releases depth chart for ACC opener

By Nate Barnes / Sports Editor

Pitt football released its first official two-deep depth chart of the 2013 season Monday, in preparation for its ACC opener against Florida State on Sept. 2.

The depth chart reflects many of the developments that came through Pitt’s three weeks of training camp earlier this month, with Tom Savage listed as the starting quarterback, true freshman Tyler Boyd starting at wide receiver with Devin Street and true freshman Chris Blewitt starting at kicker.

On the defense, the interior defensive line remains as expected with Tyrone Ezell and Aaron Donald slated to start at the tackle slots. At defensive end, Ejuan Price is listed as a co-starter with David Durham and Bryan Murphy at each side after his impressive training camp.

Behind the line, Bam Bradley is at the top of the strong-side linebacker position while Anthony Gonzalez is on the weak-side to flank redshirt senior Shane Gordon in the middle. Todd Thomas is listed as the second-team Will linebacker after he left the team before the second day of training camp but returned the next week.

In front of Tom Savage, Pitt’s offensive line will consist of Adam Bisnowaty and T.J. Clemmings at the tackles, Cory King and Matt Rotheram at the guards and Artie Rowell at center.

On special teams, Blewitt won the starting kicker job over Brad Lukasak, while Matt Yoklic retains his spot as the team’s starting punter. Lafayette Pitts and Jason Hendricks will return kicks, while K’Waun Williams is listed as the starting punt returner.

An interesting wrinkle comes at the tailback position, where Isaac Bennett is still the starting running back despite not practicing since sustaining a knee injury in the first week of training camp. Malcolm Crockett is listed as his back-up, and James Conner is not included on the two-deep although he took the lion’s share of carries in practice during the weeks Bennett missed.