Pro-Palestine students set up a liberated zone in Schenley Plaza on Tuesday.
Op-Ed | An Open Letter to Chancellor Joan Gabel
By Contributors April 25, 2024

By Contributors April 25, 2024

Protester arrested outside downtown Trump speech

Protesters gather outside the Duquesne Club in downtown Pittsburgh, where Donald Trump was alleged to be eating lunch after giving a speech highlighting his pro-fracking energy policy to the Shale Insight Conference Thursday morning. Stephen Caruso / Senior Staff Photographer

Police arrested one person during a protest against Donald Trump and fracking in downtown Pittsburgh this afternoon.

The Republican presidential candidate was speaking to the Shale Insight Convention at the David Lawrence Convention center, highlighting his pro-fracking and natural gas agenda to attendees if elected President of the United States Nov. 8.

Donald trump addresses a crowd at the Shale Coalition Conference held at David Lawrence Conference Center. | Jordan Mondell, Assistant Visual Editor

In response, Pittsburghers rallied outside the convention center and listened to speeches from organizers before marching to the intersection of Sixth Street and Wood Street.

Once at the intersection, the crowd sat, singing songs and chanting against Trump before marching up Sixth to outside the Duquesne Club, were Trump was allegedly eating lunch.

Protesters then attempted to enter the building, but Pittsburgh Police, some on horseback, others in riot gear, intervened, pushed protesters back from the entrance and off the sidewalks. One smiling protester was subsequently taken out of the Duquesne Club in handcuffs to cheers from the crowd.

Protesters waited outside the club after police forced them back for around 20 minutes, chanting and hurling insults at police. They then dispersed once informed that Trump had already left, said Ed Trapp, a Pittsburgh Police Commander. Pittsburgh Police gave no order to disperse.

“We don’t want to make them disperse if they’re protesting peacefully,” Trapp said.

Trapp confirmed the arrest and said the crowd numbered around 200. He could not confirm who was arrested or on what charges.

More coverage of Trump’s speech and the protests will be available later today.