Rules of thumb for festival goers will improve experience

South by Southwest ended on Saturday, and Coachella is less than a month away — and these are just two of many music festivals that will occur in the upcoming months. Festival season has begun.

In comparison to the cost of a traditional vacation, festivals offer a financially viable option to experience a weekend away from reality. Not all festivals are created equal, and levels of commitment and preparation by organizers and attendees vary. Music is at the core of the experience, but anyone who has gone to a festival knows that you’re in for more than just one long concert.

There are two important festival rules that all attendees should be conscious of: be open-minded and be prepared. There’s no rule that says you have to be as open as the festival attendees at Burning Man, but preparation is a must.

Most festivals require attendees to camp out on small lots for the duration of the festival, meaning no electricity, running water or solid shelter. If you’re not a camper, this probably sounds less than appealing. Here are nine tips to make your festival experience better:

1. Drink water.

And lots of it. Most activities take place in the hot summer sun. There are few stations for water, so make sure to carry a bottle with you and refill it often. This is especially important if you’ll be partaking in intoxicating substances, which increase the chance of dehydration.

2. Arrive early and leave early.

Notice in your festival experiences that the latecomers always get stuck next to the porta potties. Also be wary of setting up camp by a corner — people hate walking and love peeing in corners.

Arriving early will give you less anxiety about leaving early, and after a couple straight days of festival fun, the last thing on your desired agenda will be waiting in line as everyone tries to leave the festival at the same time. So do yourself a favor and pack it up before everyone heads out if you don’t mind missing the last couple of bands.

3. Bring a totem and/or someone tall.

Disorientation is inevitable, especially since a tent looks like every other one in a crowd of several hundred. Put something up at yours so walking back to your camp doesn’t turn into a scavenger hunt, and have something one tall member of the group can carry over his head so any wanderers find their way back. Nothing is worse than looking into a sea of tents that look exactly like yours.

4. Expect to have zero cell service.

Mobile networks overload easily when everyone tries to use them at once in the same area, especially if the area isn’t typically very populated, and some festivals are in isolated locations that may not have service to begin with. There likely won’t be a place to charge your phone, anyway.

5. Pack light, but pack right.

Pack ear plugs — you’ll want to sleep at some point, and between noisy neighbors and blaring music, peace and quiet will be nonexistent at any time of the day or night.

Bring a spare change of clothes for each day. If it’s the thick of summer, bring two shirts for each day so you’ll have a clean one for evening activities. Wear closed-toe shoes. Bring a bandana to shield your mouth or use as a sweatband — large moving crowds kick up dry dirt into dust that can be inhaled — and don’t forget sunscreen and sunglasses.

Also, make sure to read the festival rules about items permitted inside. Most do not allow weapons, glass, fireworks, etc., and cars are almost always checked upon entry. Most festivals give recommendations of items to bring, as well.

6. Make shade.

A polyester tent will be unbearable to sit in during the day, as no heat will be able to escape, so be sure to have a source of shade that lets the breeze come through. Just be sure to set up something simple so you and your neighbors don’t have another obstacle to work around.

7. Stay fresh.

Between the hot sun, everyone else’s body heat and sweat, the close quarters and the dancing, there is no way you won’t smell. Festival showers are limited, which means long lines, and they may cost money to use.

Skip the shower and purchase a solar shower — a black bag that holds cold water and uses the sun to heat it — or bring baby wipes to wipe skin clean. And for the love of God, spend the extra dollar on clinical-strength deodorant.

8. Be cooler conscious.

The cooler is a camper’s fridge. Freeze water bottles and use them instead of ice for the drive. They thaw more slowly than ice, and there will be no shortage of cold water.

Pack alcohol at the bottom of the cooler — non-alcoholic drinks should be readily available on top — and food should come in airtight containers to keep it from getting soggy.

Upon arrival, put the cooler in the shade to prevent the ice from melting, and remember to buy ice frequently to keep food from spoiling. Bring garbage bags and disposable plates, sporks, knives and cups, too.

9. Know the signs of an emergency.

An inability to focus, white or blue lips, cold or clammy skin and seizures are all signs of dehydration, the most common sun-related emergency. You know your friends best, and you know when they’re not alright.

Most festivals do not have repercussions for assisting friends that need medical attention because of drug or alcohol abuse, as the event organizers would rather have you there to explain the situation and get your friend better as soon as possible. The best way to be sure is to check festival websites for clarification.

Little hiccups can ruin a festival experience. You’ll thank yourself for being prepared.