The Pitt News box outside the Cathedral of Learning.
TPN thanks, says goodbye to senior editors
By The Pitt News Staff April 26, 2024

By The Pitt News Staff April 26, 2024

Pitt lands 15th verbal commitment to 2017 football recruiting class

Pitt head coach Pat Narduzzi secured the 15th verbal commitment to his second full recruiting class over the weekend. Jeff Ahearn | Senior Staff Photographer

Shortly after a 37-34 win over the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets on Homecoming weekend, the Pitt football team added the newest verbal commitment to its 2017 recruiting class.

Carter Warren, a 6-foot-6, 265-pound offensive lineman from Wayne, New Jersey, is a three-star offensive tackle, according to Rivals. He announced his intention to join the Panthers’ 2017 class Saturday evening via Twitter.

“After months of consideration and discussion with my family, I have decided to commit to the University of Pittsburgh, where I will proudly wear the Panthers uniform for the next four years,” Warren said on Twitter.

Rivals ranks Warren as the No. 50 offensive tackle in the 2017 recruiting class and the No. 9 player in the state of New Jersey. He chose Pitt over offers from Miami, Michigan, Michigan State, North Carolina, Penn State and Tennessee, among others.

Warren is the Panthers’ fourth offensive line recruit in next year’s class, joining three-star recruits Carson Van Lynn and Gabe Houy and two-star recruit Owen Drexel.

ESPN ranked Pitt’s offensive line as the best in the ACC going into this season, as it features two All-ACC seniors in tackle Adam Bisnowaty and guard Dorian Johnson. Maintaining its strength after the seniors leave seems to be a priority for head coach Pat Narduzzi — he’s added four offensive linemen already to the Panthers’ 2017 class.

Narduzzi now has 15 verbal commitments for his second full recruiting class as Pitt’s head coach, but players still have until Feb. 1, when they can officially sign National Letters of Intent, to change their minds.