A member of Pitts swimming and diving team goes up for air while swimming during a meet against Army in Trees Hall on Sept 22, 2023.
Pitt swim and dive competes on national stage this week
By Aidan Kasner, Senior Staff Writer • March 28, 2024
Pitt holding spring commencement April 28
By Donata Massimiani, Assistant News Editor • March 28, 2024

Clark, Manigault transfer from basketball team

Pitt basketball Head Coach Kevin Stallings has lost every member of his 2016 recruiting class. Meghan Sunners | Assistant Visual Editor

Say goodbye to the Pitt men’s basketball team’s 2016 recruiting class.

All three members of the Panthers’ 2016 class are no longer with the team, as true freshman Corey Manigault followed sophomore Crisshawn Clark in announcing his intention to transfer next season.

“We wish Corey and Crisshawn the best of luck as they look to continue their college careers elsewhere,” Pitt head coach Kevin Stallings said Tuesday in a press release. “We will continue to support both of them through their impending transfers.”

Along with Clark’s and Manigault’s transfers, Stallings dismissed true freshman point guard Justice Kithcart Feb. 3, one day before the team’s regular season finale.

Clark announced his intention to leave on Monday via Twitter, and Manigault followed suit the next day.

“I want to say thank you so much to the University of Pittsburgh for the opportunity,” Clark said in a Tweet. “I will be transferring to continue my career.”

Neither of the players have said where they plan to transfer.

According to the signed letter Clark posted on Twitter, the school is allowing him to go anywhere except other ACC schools and any other schools listed on any upcoming Panthers competition schedule.

Manigault didn’t post a picture of his release, but the exemptions for ACC schools and other schools on upcoming schedules are “pretty standard language,” according to Pitt Athletics spokesperson Matt Plizga.

“Thank you so much to everyone at Pitt for the opportunity,” Manigault said via Twitter. “I have received my release to transfer and continue my career.”

A 6-foot-4 guard from Dayton, Ohio, Clark transferred to Pitt in the fall from Canada College. He only saw six minutes of live action as a Panther, picking up six points and three rebounds in the Panthers’ 95-65 exhibition win over Pitt-Johnstown Nov. 4. Clark suffered a torn MCL and meniscus in practice three days later, ending his season before it started.

The preseason knee injury was the second in a row for Clark, who also missed the 2015-16 season at Canada College after an impressive debut season in 2014-15. Clark’s absence left a gaping void in Pitt’s backcourt as the Panthers struggled to receive production off the bench all season.

Manigault is a 6-foot-8 forward from Suitland, Maryland, who appeared in 18 contests for Pitt as a true freshman. He averaged 0.8 points and 0.8 rebounds over 4.4 minutes per game.

Clark’s and Manigault’s transfers will open up two more roster spots for Pitt in Stallings’ second season, as the Panthers now have eight available scholarships for next year.

The team currently has four recruits signed in the 2017 class with three more verbal commitments, but Stallings and his staff are still attempting to add to the class.