Smooth sounds play magical role, sexy music sets mood

By John Lavanga

MCT CampusPicture yourself in the midst of a sultry evening with the ever-so-sexy object of your desire. It’s getting late, and you’re walking back from a restaurant where the two of you enjoyed an evening of fine food and intimate conversation.

The dinner was sumptuous, and the wine was exquisite. You drive the usual route down Forbes to show your date the best view of the city in autumn. You’re dressed to impress from head to toe and so is your date.

It’s time to make a move. Leaning in a little closer now, you make a joke about cold Pittsburgh nights. Your hands touch, and the touch lingers for a heartbeat. You look into your boo’s eyes, and that smoldering gaze says it all. It’s on. Time to head back to your place and make the magic happen.

Have you thought about what music you’re going to put on when you get there? There are many important elements involved in creating a memorable night while tucked away in bed with your date, but the most important of these factors is your choice of tunes. Picking the right set of tracks to set up the scene and carry you through the night is key to perfecting that night of passionate romance. The right set of sexy tracks can help you lose your inhibitions and keep the atmosphere steamy. The proper seductive jams will bring out the love machine within you.

The first step in compiling a proper playlist is the decision regarding what mood to set for the evening. Do you want your night to be soft, slow and sensual? Or is this a wild one-night stand with the bad girl of your dreams? Either way, your first song has to create the vibe you’re looking for.

It’s about making that special someone you brought home with you feel like they’re in for a wild ride while simultaneously smoothing over any bumps in the seduction process. Consider the rhythm of the bass line, the effect of the vocals and the length of the song. Each of these components plays a critical role.

Unless you’re a ’70s sex symbol, avoid cliche love tracks in this situation. Marvin Gaye has a place in every sexy playlist, but “Sexual Healing” has been used so often that it might seem like a joke. I recommend “Stroker Ace” by Lovage. Listen to the song, and you will understand.

Once you’ve got your opening track picked out, continuity becomes important, so consider things like pacing and style. Putting a track with harsh guitar riffs and a choppy bass line into an otherwise silky smooth mix could be the ultimate mood killer. If you’re doing it right, neither you nor your lover will be paying attention to the lyrics, so this is a good time to focus on solid songs that don’t really draw attention to themselves.

Above all else, the heart of your playlist has got to maintain the atmosphere. I sometimes toss out songs with lyrics in favor of instrumental tracks with solid, even bass lines.

My No. 1 pick would have to be “Joy” by Isaac Hayes, whose music has made it happen for countless Casanovas over the years. It’s 16 minutes of pure, soulful sex that keeps an even rhythm without being monotonous.

Finally, you must consider the afterglow tracks. Now that the the heavy romancing is through, the smooth vocals of your playlist should help you maintain the good feelings. Feel free to take some liberties with the pace and rhythm of the songs here, but keep in mind how you want this evening to be remembered.

Creating the perfect lovin’ playlist is more work than you would expect. Like the art of seduction, it takes deliberate practice and sensitivity geared toward the needs of your lover. Still, putting on the perfect set of seductive jams when you’re getting hot and heavy with a sexy stranger truly enhances the night’s lasting impression.

John Lavanga — or DJ Silky Smooth as some might know him — plays the music you want to get down to and answers your lovin’ questions as the host of “The Love Zone” from 11 p.m. to 1 a.m. every Thursday evening. His current favorite song to get down to is “Scandalous” by Black Joe Lewis and the Honey Bears.