Waiver Wire Weekly: Add Joe Flacco before Ohio

Atlanta+Falcons+wide+receiver+Mohamed+Sanu+scores+a+touchdown+for+a+35-30+lead+over+the+New+Orleans+Saints+during+the+fourth+quarter+Sunday+in+Atlanta.+

Curtis Compton/Atlanta Journal-Constitution/TNS

Atlanta Falcons wide receiver Mohamed Sanu scores a touchdown for a 35-30 lead over the New Orleans Saints during the fourth quarter Sunday in Atlanta.

By Adin Link, Staff Writer

As we enter Week 5 of the fantasy football season, this period of time is crucial in terms of adding key players off of the waiver wire. The players you add now could be huge factors in your fantasy team’s push for the playoffs and beyond. So with that said, here are the players you need to add for a successful week.

*The “%OWN” statistic is based on ESPN standard leagues from Oct. 1.

Quarterbacks

Joe Flacco, Baltimore Ravens, *%OWN: 16.5%

An extremely consistent fantasy player thus far, averaging more than 19 fantasy points per game, Joe Flacco is a must-add in Week 5. Flacco again looked sharp on Sunday Night Football against the Pittsburgh Steelers, throwing for 363 yards and two touchdowns. Flacco faces a lackluster Cleveland Browns defense in Week 5, which gave up more than 30 points to opposing quarterback Derek Carr last week. To add to the appeal, Flacco has an arsenal of veteran pass catchers in Michael Crabtree, John Brown and Willie Snead along with pass-catching back Javorius Allen to work with.

Josh Rosen, Arizona Cardinals, %OWN: 2.8%

Among a strong group of young quarterbacks making their presence known this season is Josh Rosen. Rosen earned his first professional start last Sunday against the Seattle Seahawks. He put up only modest numbers thanks in large part to his receivers dropping open passes and offensive line shortcomings. But if you happened to watch Rosen play Sunday, you know there is no doubt he has potential to succeed. Rosen faces a much more inviting San Francisco 49ers defense in Week 5 that will allow him to shine.

Running Backs

T.J. Yeldon, Jacksonville Jaguars, %OWN: 46.8%

With regular starter Leonard Fournette reinjuring himself in his first start back from injury on Sunday, T.J. Yeldon becomes the main man in Jacksonville. With Fournette out indefinitely, Yeldon will be the beneficiary of a Jacksonville offense that utilizes running backs in both the ground and passing game. Yeldon has had solid production this year and faces a weak Kansas City Chiefs defense in Week 5.

Aaron Jones, Green Bay Packers, %OWN: 55.3%

Featured in our Week 4 edition, Aaron Jones’ %OWN is remarkably still under 60 percent. Jones carried 11 times for 65 yards and added a touchdown last Sunday against the Bills. Although Jones had the same number of carries as fellow Packer running back Jamaal Williams, Williams could only amass 27 yards. It appears as though Jones is taking full advantage of his opportunities since returning from suspension and has the inside track to receiving a majority of the Packers’ early down usage. Jones does not face an easy matchup by any means against the Detroit Lions, but look for an uptick in Jones’ usage — and therefore his production — in Week 5.

Wide Receivers

Mohamed Sanu, Atlanta Falcons, %OWN: 49%

Mohamed Sanu is included in a loaded Atlanta offense that may make some fantasy owners wary of his targets going to Falcon receivers Julio Jones or Calvin Ridley. However, the Rutgers product has put together two consecutive quality fantasy games. Last week in particular, Sanu caught six passes for 111 yards. Despite not finding the end zone, fantasy owners should be encouraged by Sanu’s presence and opportunities in the Falcons offense. Quarterback Matt Ryan likes to spread the ball around, which means Sanu’s usage will not fall victim to the other names in the Atlanta passing game.

Dede Westbrook, Jacksonville Jaguars, %OWN: 12.4%

A former Heisman candidate at Oklahoma, Dede Westbrook has flashed his big play potential a few times this season. Westbrook had his best game of the season last week against the Jets, in which he caught nine passes for 130 yards. Though Jacksonville’s offense does not stretch the field regularly, it’s known for getting the ball into the hands of players who can make plays like Westbrook. Jacksonville does not have a clear-cut number-one receiver and Westbrook’s playmaking ability puts him at the top.

Tight Ends

Cameron Brate, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, %OWN: 10.6%

Though starting the season exceptionally slowly, Cameron Brate has emerged in the last two weeks as the Buccaneers’ featured tight end. Brate has scored in his last two fantasy matchups and will have an even higher usage rate in the coming weeks. Regular starting tight end O.J. Howard went down last week with a sprained MCL, which should open the door for Brate to be involved in most of the Bucs’ offensive snaps.

Mike Gesicki, Miami Dolphins, %OWN: 4.2%

There were very high hopes for Mike Gesicki entering his rookie year. The first-year player from Penn State was dubbed a physical freak coming out of college and many fantasy owners were excited to see how the Dolphins would utilize him. With these expectations set around him, Gesicki’s start to the 2018 season has been disappointing. However, with regular Dolphin tight end A.J. Derby continuing to heal his foot injury sustained in Week 3, Gesicki may grow into a bigger role. Expect Gesicki to break out in Week 5 against a poor Bengals defense.