SGB talk library hours, healthy living

By Megan Trimble

The Student Government Board meeting opened with reverent tones as the general meeting offered…The Student Government Board meeting opened with reverent tones as the general meeting offered five seconds of silence in recognition and remembrance of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

But the somber tone didn’t last long, and the Board quickly moved on to lighter business at Tuesday night’s public meeting in Nordy’s Place. During the hour-and-15-minute meeting, the Board ­­— responsible for distributing funds from the more than $2 million Student Activities Fund — presented ideas and events regarding student community service involvement, voter registration and academic issues.

Keeping with the previous meeting’s trend of supporting voter registration, Board member Julie Hallinan asked for a show of hands of those who are already registered to vote and said that info on the new ID law would be available to students. Challengers of the new voter ID law will make their case this Thursday before the Commonwealth Court.

Board member Gordon Louderback added his support for voter registration, but then switched his focus to mention Pitt Band Director Jack Anderson, who recently announced his retirement. Louderback urged students to thank him for his dedication to the Pitt tradition.

“I would like to take the opportunity to thank him, as he’s been with the Pitt family for 50 years, and his family has been involved with the Pitt band for 70 years,” Louderback said. “I am not in the band myself, but not all bleed blue and gold like he does, so take the moment to give him a handshake and thank him for everything.”

Board member Megan McGrath asked students to take part in community service efforts around campus by registering for Pitt Make A Difference Day. PMADD registration will close Oct. 1, or once 4,000 people have registered for the day of community service scheduled to take place on Saturday, Oct. 20. Registration will not reopen once full, and Board member Alex Murdoch stressed the importance of early registration.

“There are less than 2,000 spots left, so get groups’ [registrations] in sooner, rather than later,” he said.

Students can also look forward to academic changes and policies around campus in the coming year, that is, if the Board has its way.

Board member Natalie Rothenberger said she will be meeting with members of Academic Affairs to educate students about the book buyback process and other options surrounding the renting of textbooks at The Book Center.

“We will be meeting to create a video for students to explain how students could rent a book toward the end of the semester for 20 bucks, for example,” she said.

Academic Affairs Committee Chairman C.J. Stavrakos announced progress made on his syllabus project — a project that would make sample syllabi available along with course descriptions posted in the online course catalog. Stavrakos said he is confident that the project can function successfully and that academic departments will be contacted to help make the syllabi additions a University-wide change.

“I have also been in contact with [Vice Provost and Dean of Students Kathy] Humphrey to create extended library hours, and the committee will continue to audit classes to be considered for Arts and Sciences gen-ed requirements,” Stavrakos said to finish his report.

The idea of extended library hours was first implemented during Stavrakos’s predecessor Pooja Patel’s term as Academic Affairs chair, and she worked with the administration to hold temporary, test-stage extended library hours.

Expanding the number of courses that fulfill gen-ed requirements also began prior to this year’s Board, with former Board member Alex Zimmerman leading the charge.

The meeting closed with a statement of “God save the Chancellor” from Transportation and Safety Committee Chair Richard White and a health warning from the Board.

“People around me seem to be getting sick,” Board member Halim Genus said. “Eat your vegetables, take your vitamin C and wash your hands.”

“And exercise!” Board member Zoe Samudzi interjected.

Allocations

HIMSA requested $3,001.85 to attend a conference in Chicago. The Allocations Committee initially recommended the Board deny the request in full, stating that the conference focused too much on personal development. After representatives from the group presented their testimonies on the contrary, the Board approved $1,725 for the conference and denied $1,270.85 for the flight tickets, as the group had already paid for them.

Panther Club Field Hockey requested $1,040 for 40 sets of new jerseys and shorts. The Board approved $610 for 20 sets.

Circle K International requested $600 for the group’s international dues. The Board approved the request in full in line with the Allocations recommendation.

Women’s Club Gymnastics requested $3,090.82 to cover the cost of three days of practice. The Board approved $2,060.54 for two days of practice in line with the Allocations recommendation and denied $1,030.28.

Lady Panthers Soccer Club requested $1,744.32 to enable them to compete in a competition. The Board approved the request in full in line with the Allocations recommendation.

Lady Panthers Soccer Club requested $1,149.04 to enable them to compete in a competition. The Board approved the request in full in line with the Allocations recommendation.

The Chinese American Student Association requested $937.53 for refreshments and disposable products for their Moon Festival. The Board approved $752.17 for refreshments but denied $185.36 for the disposable paper products in line with the Allocations recommendation.

Model United Nations requested $2,480.60 to compete in a competition. The Board approved the request in full in line with the Allocations recommendation.