Pitt in the NFL: Fitzgerald provides spark over weekend

By Sean Corrado

Former Panther Larry Fitzgerald finally broke out in Week 3 after two mediocre games, but he was…Former Panther Larry Fitzgerald finally broke out in Week 3 after two mediocre games, but he was the only player to make Pitt proud last Sunday.

Most other notable Pitt alums currently in the National Football League struggled in their games this past weekend. In addition to Fitzgerald’s success, a season-ending injury and a benching highlighted an eventful Sunday for the 18 former Panthers in the NFL.

The Arizona Cardinals’ Fitzgerald (Pitt 2002-2003) lit up the field with 114 yards in an impressive 27-6 win over the Philadelphia Eagles. He scored on a 37-yard catch and run from Kevin Kolb to give Arizona a 17-point lead midway through the second quarter.

Shortly after, Kolb hit Fitzgerald with a four-yard pass to give Larry the 700th reception of his career. He became the youngest player in NFL history —29 years and 23 days old — to reach that mark. The second youngest, Jason Witten, achieved the mark at 30 years and 133 days old. Fitzgerald will likely continue to dominate next week when the Cardinals take on Miami and its subpar secondary.

As for the other Panther alumni, the weekend just didn’t work out in their favor.

The New York Jets received bad news upon learning that Darrelle Revis will need to undergo season-ending surgery on his left knee after he tore his ACL in the third quarter against the Dolphins.

Revis (Pitt 2004-2006) left the game after his knee buckled in the grass as he tried to tackle Daniel Thomas off a screen pass. He will undergo surgery in a few weeks and is expected to need six to nine months of recovery time.

With the loss of Revis, New York’s playoff chances have been cut nearly in half. Considered the best cornerback in the league, he only allowed one touchdown in all of 2011. Since the Aliquippa, Pa., native joined the team, the Jets have never intercepted a pass without him on the field. Kyle Wilson will now start in his place.

LeSean McCoy (Pitt 2007-2008) couldn’t get it going against the Arizona defense. He ran for just 70 yards on 13 carries in the team’s loss to Fitzgerald’s Cardinals.

Dion Lewis (Pitt 2009-2010) seems to have lost his job as McCoy’s backup. He was a healthy scratch on Sunday — meaning he didn’t dress — with Bryce Brown now occupying second string on the depth chart. Lewis — if he sees the field — and McCoy will look to improve the Eagles’ offense against the defending champion New York Giants next weekend.

Many fantasy football owners expected Jon Baldwin (Pitt 2008-2010) to have a breakout season this year, yet he only saw four of Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Matt Cassel’s 44 passes thrown his way in the team’s win against the Saints. Baldwin only has 98 yards this season on six catches, with Dwayne Bowe seeing most of the action for the Chiefs.

San Francisco punter Andy Lee (Pitt 2000-2004) had three punts for the 49ers but only landed one inside the 20-yard line. He did, however, manage to average 48.7 net yards per kick — the difference of yards traveled and yards returned ­­— his highest total this season.