Panthers improve their games at Greentree summer league

By Pat McAteer

With the conclusion of the Pittsburgh Basketball Club Pro-Am Summer League on July 19, Pitt fans…With the conclusion of the Pittsburgh Basketball Club Pro-Am Summer League on July 19, Pitt fans caught their last glimpse of this year’s men’s basketball players until late November.

PGT Trucking, a team featuring a host of current and future Panthers, brought home the championship title in front of a large crowd at the Greentree SportsPlex.

Here’s a look at the performances of a few current and incoming Panthers who shined during the summer league.

Lamar Patterson, redshirt junior, small forward

There’s no denying that Patterson was the best player throughout the summer league season, and he is likely to be Pitt’s best scoring option in 2012.

In nine games at Greentree, Patterson averaged a league-best 23.3 points per game. This, along with 7.3 rebounds and 5.4 assists, helped lead PGT to the title.

By scoring in a variety of ways, Patterson showed the same aggressiveness he displayed last season during Pitt’s College Basketball Invitational championship run. But unlike the regular season last year, he never hesitated behind the 3-point line, hitting 25 3-pointers in summer league competition.

“You never know when you’re going to have to make a tough shot, so summer league is the best time to practice that instead of during the season,” Patterson said. “I know [Pitt] Coach [Jamie] Dixon is not going to allow that. I just want to be able to get shots up in the flow of the game rather than in the back by myself.”

But more importantly, Patterson has shown a willingness to use his strength while driving to the basket. Since he is already a polished passer, his improved ability to drive to the basket will open up the floor for shooting teammates like J.J. Moore, Travon Woodall and John Johnson this season.

Steven Adams, freshman, center

Facing impossibly high expectations as Pitt’s most highly rated recruit ever, Adams, a 7-foot center from New Zealand, entered as the summer league’s biggest attraction.

And encouragingly for Pitt fans, Adams didn’t fail to impress.

Averaging 11.6 points and 12.4 rebounds per game in nine contests, Adams appeared to be the post presence Pitt missed during last season’s struggles. For the most part, Adams dominated his opponents defensively, displaying rare mobility for a player of his size.

Adams also showed good touch around the rim with a developing hook shot and tip-ins from a variety of locations, but his greatest asset is his rebounding ability. He consistently positioned himself correctly under the basket, and he showed that he is a player willing to fight for every missed shot.

“I’m just playing, just doing what the coaches tell me, really. Run, post up, screen — I’m just trying to make good decisions for our team,” Adams said in a Pitt News article earlier this summer.

Without a doubt, the addition of Adams to Pitt’s roster will force other teams to change their game plans in order to compensate for his size and skill in the post.

Trey Zeigler, junior, shooting guard

An off-season transfer from Central Michigan University, Zeigler arrived at Pitt as an established college basketball player. He earned a reputation as one of the most highly sought after players while he was a senior in high school.

During the summer league, Zeigler showed why he’s a welcome addition to Pitt’s basketball team, averaging 13.8 points and 5.8 rebounds for the league’s tournament champion, PGT.

“Trey is another playmaker for us,” Patterson said of Zeigler. “He can shoot the ball and pass it, and he works hard — he’s a competitor.”

Although he struggled from behind the 3-point line, Zeigler constantly attacked the basket, using his agility and size to outmaneuver those guarding him. He also provided solid rebounding for his position.

A Pitt starting backcourt of Zeigler and point guard Woodall should fare well against Big East competition because of Woodall’s shooting touch and Zeigler’s ability to attack the basket on every possession.

Talib Zanna, redshirt junior, power forward

In his three years at Pitt, the storyline with Zanna as a player has always revolved around his consistency. At times, he appeared to be a power forward with athleticism and size that wowed NBA scouts. On other occasions, Zanna appeared raw, often struggling to convert simple baskets.

But during the summer league season, Zanna displayed a revamped offensive arsenal that included an effective mid-range jump shot, allowing him to average 14.6 points per game in nine games. As an already established rebounder, Zanna averaged 10 boards per game.

While it remains to be seen whether Zanna can translate this progress to the NCAA season — he commented that his team’s diminished roster forced him to take on added scoring responsibilities — it certainly shows that he is placing new emphasis on his offensive game.

Cameron Wright, redshirt sophomore, shooting guard

At times last year, Wright appeared to be overwhelmed by the talent within the Big East Conference. Although he showed signs of being a serviceable player, he often struggled mightily on the offensive end.

In the off-season, Wright said he worked to improve his mid-range jump shot, and if the summer results are an indicator of his progress, then he might very well be a significant contributor to the team this season.

Wright averaged 15.9 points per game with 4.7 rebounds and 2.9 assists in seven games while maintaining his aggressive, ball-hawking defensive presence. But it was his offensive game that opened eyes this summer.

After struggling with the ball last season, Wright erupted in the summer league by taking the ball to the hoop possession after possession. More impressively, Wright served as the go-to scorer for his team, UPMC.

“I’m a lot more confident,” Wright said. “My shooting, my mid-range game — that’s probably the best part of my game in transition. And just putting all of those things together and still working on my defense like Coach Dixon told me to.”

Along with the impressive performances produced by Patterson, Adams, Zeigler, Zanna and Wright, a few other Panthers also showcased their abilities at Greentree.

Redshirt freshman guard Durand Johnson made a case for playing time by being one of the summer league’s most prolific scorers, while sophomore guard John Johnson, freshman guard James Robinson, senior forward Dante Taylor and sophomore center Malcolm Gilbert all proved that they can be valuable members of the 2012-2013 Pitt men’s basketball team.