Women’s Soccer: Freshman midfielder selected Big East Rookie of the Week

By RJ Sepich

The Big East conference has already recognized the contributions of Roosa Arvas for helping the…The Big East conference has already recognized the contributions of Roosa Arvas for helping the Pitt women’s soccer team double its win total from last season.

The freshman midfielder, who originally hails from Finland, was named Big East Women’s Soccer Rookie of the Week after scoring one goal and recording five assists as the Panthers won all three games they played last week.

Pitt defeated Robert Morris 2-1, St. Bonaventure 2-1 and Duquesne 3-1 to improve to a 4-1 record after only winning two games all of last season.

First-year Pitt head coach Greg Miller said he was very pleased with his young midfielder’s play early in the season.

“I’m really proud of Roosa’s contributions through five games,” Miller said. “Only five games into a completely different style of play for her, and already she’s found a way to put her stamp on the game with her soccer sense and ability to place the ball where we need it on set pieces.”

Arvas’s set piece ability has proved crucial for the Panthers, with four of Pitt’s seven goals this weekend coming as a result of the freshman’s corner kick delivery.

She was also selected as the College Sports Madness Women’s Soccer Big East Player of the Week.

The Panthers will travel to Morgantown, W.Va., this weekend to face Miami (Fla.) and Penn State at the WVU 90 Minute Classic as Pitt prepares to enter conference play later this month.