Liven up college closets with small additions and changes

By Anna Weldon

New styles don’t always fit a college budget, and for students interested in maintaining a…New styles don’t always fit a college budget, and for students interested in maintaining a personal look that coincides with the latest fashion trends, an updated wardrobe can cost more money than anticipated.

Fortunately, shopping smartly never goes out of style, and there are plenty of options for each fashionista’s college budget.

Thrift stores and secondhand shops are the greatest sources for inexpensive clothing options. Stores such as Avalon Exchange (in Squirrel Hill) and Goodwill (in the South Side) are filled with great buys and stylish clothing. Though these stores may not have the most recent trends, they do feature a host of vintage options that mirror current styles.

The key to thrifting is time. Shoppers will not encounter a good deal immediately upon entering a thrift store because of the large quantity of clothing in these stores. Secondhand shops typically have racks lined with shirts, jackets and pants jammed together into a confusing mess. Entering into one of these stores can be daunting at first, and it may seem like there is nothing worth wearing despite the many options.

Thrifters should spend an afternoon searching through the racks for that perfect outfit. Start at the beginning and work diligently through each article of clothing, slowly examining the quality and style of each piece. Unfortunately, because all of the clothes have been worn previously, some pieces may be stretched and old, leaving them unfit for wearing.

Also, these stores offer a lot of vintage options whose styles reappear in current trends. You can find high-waisted pants, sheer tops and great used name-brand bags and shoes at a thrift store that cost significantly less money than they would at popular chains. Used clothing costs next to nothing compared to its original price, but buyers will still get a great look.

Another option for students on a budget is to reinvent old clothes through do-it-yourself projects. Some of the greatest clothing options are currently in your closet, just waiting to be altered and transformed.

Consider changing the buttons on an old cardigan or adding a decorative flower to a plain T-shirt. Skirts and pants can be easily revamped with hems and stitching. Shorten full-length pants to make a contemporary cropped look that is currently in style.

Your small alterations to simple pieces can make them more modern-looking while recreating your wardrobe and enhancing it dramatically while spending hardly any money. Old pieces made new are the best expansions of your closet, and though it takes a little effort, the final product will be worth the work.

If used clothing and DIY projects don’t seem appealing, there are still many options for budgeted shoppers. Other stores such as Marshalls, T.J.Maxx and Ross have inexpensive options from popular retailers that have overproduced their products. There, you can find the latest styles of expensive name brands at discounted prices.

Shoppers frequently rely on finding their favorite name brands in a traditional setting. They don’t think outside of the box when it comes to fashion, which puts a severe dent in their wallets. Shopping smartly will save you money and help to fix your wardrobe, expanding your fashion options this fall semester.