Pittsburgh venues vary with different atmospheres and acts

By Andrew Gretchko

As Pittsburgh continues to play an ever-increasing role in the broader music scene, its…As Pittsburgh continues to play an ever-increasing role in the broader music scene, its countless concert venues have been flooded by artists and fans alike.

While the idea of being able to see some of your favorite artists can be exciting, it can also be a little daunting. Where do you start? What venues are best?

Here are five venues that locals should get to know.

Stage AE

More than likely, this is where people’s favorite artists will be performing. The two-year-old concert hall located in the shadows of Heinz Field on the North Shore has already become a fan favorite after hosting artists such as Childish Gambino, Modest Mouse, Feist and Death Cab for Cutie.

Worried about getting tickets to such in-demand shows? With a maximum capacity of 2,400 spectators for its indoor shows and more than 5,500 for outdoor events, Stage AE caters to the fans, giving them the opportunity to watch the band they’ve always dreamt of seeing live.

Brillobox

For those who aren’t as interested in mainstream music, Bloomfield’s Brillobox is one of Pittsburgh’s many popular indie music venues.

With a slew of artists the majority of us have never heard of as well as a number of bigger indie artists, such as Neon Indian, Brillobox offers an intimate venue to see up-and-coming artists perform with a kind of passion that is often lost with big-name artists who are filthy rich.

Throw in the added bonuses of its full menu, stellar Sunday brunch, starving artist’s vegetarian supper and a creative bar, and it’s easy to see why Brillobox is so popular with the indie crowd.

Altar Bar

This one is as eclectic as they come.

Located in Pittsburgh’s Strip District, the Altar Bar is a former-church-turned-concert-venue, complete with stained glass windows, up to 650 rowdy fans, and some of the best local music in Pittsburgh.

Serving up a wide variety of music, ranging from underground hip-hop to rock, the Altar Bar has hosted artists such as Action Bronson, Manchester Orchestra and Fuel, and will play host to artists such as Big K.R.I.T. and Neon Trees this fall.

Mr. Smalls Funhouse

The word “funhouse” doesn’t quite do Mr. Smalls justice.

The venue is comprised of a skate park, two recording studios, a state-of-the-art theatre, an artist’s hostel, and it’s in the process of adding “The War Room” — intended to serve as a kind of museum of Pittsburgh’s rock ‘n’ roll history — which looks to add further fun to the wild and wacky concert venue.

Don’t let the name fool you, though — Mr. Smalls means business when it comes to music.

It has hosted artists such as Bone Thugs-N-Harmony, moe., George Clinton and Parliament Funkadelic, Umphrey’s McGee, Ziggy Marley and countless other greats. If you’re a big music fan, you’ll be visiting Mr. Smalls often.

Consol Energy Center

When the Pittsburgh Penguins’ iconic Civic Arena was torn down, the new home of one of the nation’s biggest hockey towns had some pretty big shoes to fill.

Luckily, the Consol Energy Center has picked up right where the old stadium left off, housing some of Pittsburgh’s larger-than-life concerts while managing to juggle the Penguins’ and the Pittsburgh Power arena football team’s schedules on the side. Featuring big-name performances from some of music’s premier players — including Avicii, Carrie Underwood, Rush and Lady Gaga — Consol is the place to be for some of the biggest shows that come to Pittsburgh.

Honorable mentions

Since a city as large as Pittsburgh must have far more than five concert venues, here’s our list of honorable mentions: the Shadow Lounge (hip-hop), the First Niagara Pavilion (23,000-plus seats), Diesel Club Lounge (great sound system), Club Cafe (hipster heaven) and Heinz Hall (classical music and plays).

Bob your head, mosh, crowd surf, rock out and rave, as Pittsburgh’s many stages play host to some of the biggest and brightest artists the music industry has to offer.