Basketball: Outdoor Midnight Madness event set for October

By RJ Sepich

For the first time since 2003, the Pitt basketball teams will host a Midnight Madness event to…For the first time since 2003, the Pitt basketball teams will host a Midnight Madness event to introduce the new-look Panthers to their fans prior to the new season, the University’s athletic department stated in a press release Wednesday.

But the event won’t be held at the Petersen Events Center nor at any other basketball arena.

Instead, the men’s and women’s teams will hold their first NCAA practice of the year Friday, Oct. 12, on an outdoor basketball court that will be constructed on Bigelow Boulevard between the Cathedral of Learning and the William Pitt Union. The outdoor Midnight Madness will serve as part of the University’s homecoming weekend activities and celebration of the school’s 225th anniversary.

Lights, portable bleachers and a video board will be set up for the event, which will feature team introductions as well as several contests and promotional activities. Admission will be free and open to the public.

There will be several other events on campus before the basketball teams take the court at 9:45 p.m., including a fireworks and laser show beginning at 9:15. There will also be a student gathering in the William Pitt Union following teams’ appearance.

If adverse weather conditions threaten to affect the evening’s events, Pitt’s Midnight Madness will be moved to the Petersen Events Center.