City, Pitt initiate bike-friendly efforts

By Joe Chilson

For the average biker, Pittsburgh might seem to be hostile territory. With its hilly topography… For the average biker, Pittsburgh might seem to be hostile territory. With its hilly topography and long, snowy winters, bikers from any other city might be overwhelmed.

But Pittsburgh bikers persist.

“All you really need is a good pair of gloves and a good pair of socks,” said Jane Kaminski, former Pitt student and membership assistant for BikePGH, an advocacy group for biking in the city. “Plus, it kind of makes me feel like a badass.”

Each using different measures, the city, the state, and the University have recently done their part to cultivate this breed of Pittsburgh biker by taking steps that make it easier to choose two wheels instead of four.

Kevin Sheehy, Pitt’s Director of Parking, Transportation, and Services, said the University has 1,500 free bike spaces on campus with 50 bike lockers for more secure storage. They’ve also recently put a fix-it station in Schenley Quad to allow bikers a place for quick repairs.

Pitt also offers a bike registration program. Bikers are able to register for free online by providing a serial number at www.pts.pitt.edu. A bike’s serial number can usually be found on the frame next to the gear and back wheel.

“Although it may not deter theft, if a bicycle is recovered, and the serial number is registered, the bike can be returned to the rightful owner,” Sheehy said in an email.

The registration program also allows Pitt to keep bikers in the loop about bike-themed events, which it partners with BikePGH to put on, such as Bike to Campus or Car Free Fridays.

Student Government Board has been working to accommodate campus bikers as well. A bike rental initiative, begun under former board member Lauren Jentleson and completed under board member Megan McGrath, recently expanded the bikes available for students to rent at the William Pitt Union and the Petersen Events Center.

The rental program in the Union is open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. on weekdays, and the bike rentals in the Baierl Rec Center are available on weekdays during the same hours, as well as on weekends from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Students can rent bikes for $3 for a single hour and $2 for each subsequent hour or for a total of $10 per day. Baierl only accepts Panther Funds in payment for the rentals, whereas the Union will accept both cash and Panther Funds.

The Union currently has one bike for rent, but Mcgrath said she plans to try to expand the program in the fall. McGrath said she will try to advertise the program more so students know bike rental is an option, and if the program gains in popularity, McGrath will push to expand it.

“For freshmen and sophomores who don’t have cars, but want to go to Shadyside or Squirrel Hill for the day, a bike could be really useful,” McGrath said.

Bikers have also made headway with the city.

Kaminski said there are many things about Pittsburgh that are bike friendly, such as road markings which indicate bike lanes, and “sharrows,” which remind to drivers to share the lane.

BikePGH’s eventual goal is a system of bike lanes and shared lanes which connect all of Pittsburgh’s neighborhoods. That’s something they’re working on with the city.

This year, Pennsylvania also took a big step for bike safety by passing House Bill 170, the “Safe Passing Bill,” which requires that any car passing a bike give a four foot cushion at a “prudent reduced speed.” Pennsylvania joins 21 other states which have similar legislation.

But Kaminski said there is still much to be desired by bikers in Pittsburgh, not the least of which is better road conditions.

“A biker needs to ride in a straight line to allow cars to pass safely,” Kaminski said. “When you have to swerve around to avoid potholes, that can put people at risk.”

For Kaminski, the best thing about biking is the time. She relishes that extra time in the morning before class or work to get out in the fresh air and get some exercise before starting each day.

Instead of moving right from her house into the bubble of a car, she can be out in her environment. She has the freedom to stop and get off the road if something catches her eye along the way. It’s relaxed, it’s meditative.

“Plus, it’s super fun,” Kaminski said.