Kayak Pittsburgh provides new perspective of the city

By Parthena Moisiadis

Pittsburgh hasn’t always had the best relationship with its rivers. In a region often plagued… Pittsburgh hasn’t always had the best relationship with its rivers. In a region often plagued by flooding, the Allegheny, Monongahela and Ohio rivers and their many tributaries have overwhelmed locals in the past when hurricanes devastated towns.

But one organization is trying to get Pittsburgh residents to embrace their city’s rivers — through kayaking.

Kayak Pittsburgh, an initiative of the nonprofit organization Venture Outdoors, strives to get people on the water to explore the city from a new vantage point. Kayak Pittsburgh, which started in 2004, hosts hundreds of different recreational programs — including rock-climbing and snowshoeing — but kayaking remains one of its most popular summertime activities.

Kayak Pittsburgh has three locations — North Park, Downtown and Millvale — that offer boat rentals from May to October at $15 an hour for a solo kayak and $20 an hour for a double kayak, with discounts for Venture Outdoors members. Students can purchase memberships for $15 and reduce the cost of subsequent rentals by $5.

Lora Woodward, a Pitt alumna and a Venture Outdoors programming director, said that kayaking opened up a new way to explore the city.

“You’ll gain a new perspective on the city,” she said. “Most people drive or walk, but seeing the skyline from the water is really more beautiful.”

Woodward said that Kayak Pittsburgh caters to people of all ages, skill levels and abilities. No experience is necessary, and Woodward said kayaking is relatively easy to pick up.

Kayak Pittsburgh offers tours that include group sessions and individual sessions, both of which are led by volunteers. Group sessions last between two and three hours and kayak rentals are charged by the hour.

While group sessions are often customized to suit a group’s needs, a typical individual route starts at PNC Park and ends at Washington Landing, covering a distance of about four miles. Woodward said that kayaking can provide a glimpse of many of Pittsburgh’s neighborhoods, including the Strip District, Downtown and the North Side.

Cousins Jodie Gallagher of North Strabane, Pa., and Maggie Cameron of McMurray, Pa., took a tour in mid-July. As the temperature hit 94 degrees during their tour, Cameron said the water dripping off the oars was enough to keep her cool.

“It didn’t feel like it was 100 degrees,” she said.

Gallagher said that even on a hot day, kayaking is a great way to keep everyone entertained, including her children.

“And we got our workout today,” Gallagher said.

Both said seeing the city while tucked into a kayak gave them a new visual perspective on its structure.

“The buildings all look grander,” Cameron said.

While those new to the Pittsburgh area might initially view the city as a largely industrial area, Woodward challenges this notion.

“Pittsburgh is a mecca of outdoor recreational activities,” she said. “We also have the wall of highlands region just an hour away, which is phenomenal for hiking and white water rafting,” she said.

Project Director Jon Lucadamo said there are numerous adventures hosted by Kayak Pittsburgh to look forward to this fall, including themed brunches on the riverside, a historical tour along the river and a fireworks tour.

“We always have something new and exciting happening,” Lucadamo said.