Sandler delivers typical performance in subpar comedy

By Natalie Bell

“That’s My Boy”

Directed by: Sean AndersColumbia Pictures/Happy Madison… “That’s My Boy”

Directed by: Sean AndersColumbia Pictures/Happy Madison Productions

Starring: Adam Sandler, Andy Samberg

Grade: D

We get it, Adam Sandler. It’s just not that funny.

Once again, Sandler has taken on the role of a goofy, misunderstood dilettante who, despite his garbled speech and outrageous antics, manages to be incredibly likable to everyone. Except, of course, to the straight man, who bumbles around helplessly, trying to get away from Sandler’s character and simultaneously earn equal popularity.

It’s unfortunate that Sandler keeps making movies like “That’s My Boy” — though it isn’t that bad, the formulaic comedy doesn’t do the actor any favors.

While it’s always sweet to see messages of acceptance, the one in this film feels a bit like the same message we got from “Billy Madison,” “Big Daddy” and the many other films Sandler has done.

Thirteen-year-old Donny (Adam Sandler) had an affair with his teacher Miss McGarricle that produced a son. When she’s sentenced to prison time, he becomes responsible for the boy, whom he names Han Solo upon turning 18.

As one might suspect based on every other Adam Sandler movie, Donny is an uncouth and terrible parent who alienates Han. When we meet him, he’s an alcoholic with an irritating, jumbled Boston accent who’s tens of thousands of dollars in debt.

It’s then when he decides to seek out his estranged son, who has gone on to rechristen himself Todd and become a successful — if intensely neurotic — adult, and get him to go on TV. Per expectation, while it seems he’s ruining his son’s life by entering it, he’s really saving him from devastating unhappiness.

The movie itself isn’t entirely bad. But such a mediocre critique is a shame, because Sandler and Samberg are both excellent humorists. Their timing is wonderful and their chemistry is phenomenal — it really seems like they’re having fun, and that’s one of the most enjoyable aspects of the movie.

But it seems apparent that they’re capable of creating something wittier in the midst of their harebrained shenanigans.

Aside from Samberg’s slow acceptance of his father and the unwinding of his anxious demeanor, which is subtle and well done, there isn’t much of a challenge for the rest of the actors. Their roles seem like shallow caricatures. Some believability and intelligent humor would have gone a long way.

Of course, there’s something to be said for the immature, frat-boy style humor that inhabits the bulk of the movie. There are amusing moments like when Donny’s “Wazzup!?” gets all the apparently stuffy adults in on the fun. But these cheap thrills do not fill the movie, and it simply needs more.

Truthfully, it’s the comparatively subtle humor — like Donny’s favorite strip club and omelet diner Bacon and Legs — that’s really entertaining. And the overuse of obscene, disgusting and totally unbelievable moments — while they may draw laughs — do the movie a sort of injustice.

Aside from it being unbelievable that anyone could possibly like Donny or overlook his obvious addictions, crude behavior and cleanliness issues, there are far too many bizarre plot conventions crammed awkwardly into two hours. Some of the strangest include appearances by Vanilla Ice, security underwear, sex with a geriatric woman, incest and Donny’s prolific sex life.

One can only hope that Sandler soon stops trying to recapture his past glory with adolescent humor and mumbled words and starts using his comedic acting chops for more challenging projects.

Overall, the movie is just another subpar comedy. It’s doubtful that it will be anyone’s favorite movie, though it may one day find itself relegated to the late-night filler spot on cable.