Avicii ups the ‘Levels’ at Consol performance

By Andrew Gretchko

There are three things every concertgoer needs to be prepared for at an Avicii show: flashing… There are three things every concertgoer needs to be prepared for at an Avicii show: flashing lights, loud music and the Tim Bergling dance — all of which were present during June 14’s concert at the Consol Energy Center.

For those of you that aren’t familiar with the blond-haired, blue-eyed Swedish DJ, Tim Bergling — known by the stage name Avicii — is a 22-year-old house music genius. Less than four years after first entering the scene, Avicii has earned international respect after collaborations with world-renowned DJs such as Tiesto, Sebastian Ingrosso and David Guetta.

Avicii isn’t known for his stage presence — he rarely, if ever, addresses the crowd — because his music does all the talking.

Taking the already popular Swedish style of electronic music — an upbeat sound that appeals to a much larger audience than niche-genres like dubstep — Avicii brings a little something for everyone to each of his shows.

For true electronic dance music (EDM) fans, there are the big drops. Avicii’s hit single “Levels” has a “chorus” that comes after a full minute of buildup. The track has topped Billboard charts around the world because of its catchy sound.

The Swedish DJ also made sure to tap into his wide repertoire of music, playing tracks from across his career, including his newest single “Silhouettes,” which was released on April 27 in the U.K.

For those who attend his concerts seeking a lightshow, Avicii doesn’t disappoint. Standing atop an all-white human head similar to the one in Ridley Scott’s recent film “Prometheus,” Avicii was the center of a spectacular display of laser lighting that flashed in time with the music to provide the audience with an overwhelming experience.

Bright beams illuminated the crowd from the dozens of lights fixed far below Avicii’s throne atop the giant head, which at times lit up to brighten the rave that sprawled out across the venue. At the end of his set, Avicii wooed the audience when the top of the large head he was standing atop propelled forward, putting the DJ high above the center of the crowd.

Yet for all of his musical prowess, the man only has one very simple dance move — the Tim Bergling.

Step One: Take your left hand and place it on your left ear.

No, Avicii isn’t trying to drown out the roar of the crowds that pack their way into concert venues across the world to see him perform. He’s actually trying to ensure that the music the crowd hears is his very best.

Pressing his headphones close against his ear, Avicii listens to the music that he often mixes and tweaks live during a show, proving that he’s remaining dedicated to his craft while looking stylish as he stands behind his DJ set.

Step Two: Take your right hand and raise it in the air at a slight angle out in front of you.

This stage of the Tim Bergling is pivotal, as the crowd repeats it throughout the course of the show in order to raise the energy level. Note that your hand should not only be going high up in the air, but also forward at a 45 degree angle. This should be done in sync with the beat of each song, and is often accompanied by a large, face-covering smile.

It may not be a complicated routine, but the Tim Bergling is sweeping the nation as the Swedish DJ has continued his nonstop round of tours across the U.S., reaching more than 20 cities this summer with solo concerts, as well as numerous music festivals.

Whether you choose to attend an Avicii show to learn the Tim Bergling dance or simply to enjoy the rest of the show’s many components, the experience will leave your heart pounding and other attendees belting out his tunes.