Monotonous tracks plague Sivitz’s new album

By Anna Weldon

A combination of a variety of instruments and  strings of rhythms fuse to create Adam… A combination of a variety of instruments and  strings of rhythms fuse to create Adam Sivitz’s smooth album, Under a Blueberry Moon.

The incorporation of multiple instruments creates a rich sound, overflowing with musical layers. Every track creates a different tone for the album, and the various themes allow for a surprise with every song change.

Sivitz’s album does have its share of beautiful moments. A piano solo in the middle of “Poppy Orange” breaks up the song at an opportune moment before transitioning into an equally impressive violin section. These musical inclusions make up for other points in the album that are less impressive.

Certain tracks on the album seem repetitive in length and sound. Even with the small breaks between tracks, some songs are indistinguishable from the ones surrounding it. The beats are too similar, and the instrumentals used to accompany them are not as well-developed as displayed on other tracks, making some tracks dull.

Because of the album’s consistently soothing sound, Sivitz accomplishes a constant theme that helps the tracks to flow. But its lack of vigor leaves certain moments boring and drags the album on for too long.

But that does not mean Under a Blueberry Moon is inconsistent. There is a constant upbeat feel to the music, creating positive energy from start to finish. The tracks combine to create a blend of soft, unassuming music, with complementary beats and melodies that form the consistent album.

Still, there is something to be said for an album that completely eliminates lyrics. Under a Blueberry Moon incorporates only various instrumentals on top of Sivitz’s steel pan, drums and percussion beats. He carries the melodies with this set of rhythms.

Sivitz’s album meets expectations in certain categories but falls behind in its lulling sounds and typical tones. It does demonstrate a possibility for growth, though, and offers listeners a pleasant experience.