Western Psych shooting victim files suit against Shick’s estate

By Michael Ringling

When the now-deceased John F. Shick opened fire on March 8 at Western Psychiatric Institute and… When the now-deceased John F. Shick opened fire on March 8 at Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic, he injured a receptionist by the name of Kathryn F. Leight.

She is now suing Shick’s estate for the damages she received as a result of the shooting.

The complaint, filed on June 6  at Allegheny County court, holds Phillip L. Clark, the administrator of Shick’s estate, as the defendant in a suit that claims Shick caused physical and emotional suffering to Leight.

Shick entered Western Psychiatric Institute on March 8 and opened fire on people inside the lobby, killing one and injuring five others, including Leight. Shick was shot and killed by Pitt police shortly after he began his rampage.

The complaint states that Leight “suffered physical injuries in the nature of gunshot wounds to the left chest, abdomen and flank, including entry wounds there and exit wounds from her back, and related internal injuries to her muscles, ligaments and nerves, and complications including pneumothorax and respiratory failure.”

The complaint also claims that Leight is suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder, and it lists medical expenses, “loss of earnings and/or loss of earning capacity” and “loss and/or limitation of enjoyment of life” as some of the damages that resulted from the shooting.

Additionally, it states that John L. Leight, the receptionist’s husband, who is listed as a plaintiff, “has suffered and will suffer the loss of his spouse’s care, comfort, assistance, association, companionship, aid and support.”

Neither the plaintiffs nor the defendant returned requests for comment.

The defendant has 20 days to issue a response either in writing or in person.