“Rock of Ages” entertains with lively soundtrack

By Anna Weldon

In one year, every high school will be performing “Rock of Ages” as their annual musicals…. In one year, every high school will be performing “Rock of Ages” as their annual musicals. And every conservative school board member will be shrilling in contempt at the suggestive nature of the material.

But what the newly adapted Broadway musical shows its audiences is that nothing can keep from spreading the wonderful debauchery of rock ‘n’ roll.

A compilation of ’80s classics, a dynamic stripper scene and a lot of tongue are all it takes to make “Rock of Ages” an entertaining film. The movie shows how every wide-eyed blonde from Oklahoma can leave their hometowns for a life of whiskey, cut-off shorts and rock ‘n’ roll. The movie features a few all-star actors in the diverse cast to resurrect the ’80s and its very intense music culture.

Set in Los Angeles in 1987, “Rock of Ages” follows Oklahoma native Sherrie (Julianne Hough) on her adventurous flee from small-town life. She travels in hopes of becoming a star, and like many naive hopefuls who search for stardom, Sherrie finds a job as a waitress. She begins working at the Bourbon Room, a popular LA nightclub, on her way to fame as a singer.

Upon arrival in LA, Sherrie meets Drew (Diego Boneta), another starry-eyed singer who also works at the nightclub, and the two immediately hit it off. After just one week of gut-wrenching power ballads, they fall in love, just in time for rock legend Stacee Jaxx’s (Tom Cruise) final performance with his band, Arsenal.

As a super star, Stacee Jaxx has gained a reputation for his stuck-up behavior, alcohol and drug abuse, and a complete disregard for women. With his fur coat and super-low-rise leather pants, he elicits swoons from everyone he passes, whether out of attractiveness or his ethanol-infused breath.

As with all musicals, the randomly inspired outbursts of song come at shocking moments, creating a sort of forced musicianship throughout the film. But as the movie continues, each ’80s classic becomes more anticipated, and soon the audience expects screeching guitars and banging drums over the normal dialogue.

“Rock of Ages” exploits a number of stereotypes that society has grown to accept. A small-town girl, her wannabe-rock-star boyfriend and a sell-out rock god are just a few of the trademark personality types that are featured in the movie.

A conservative band of women work to fight off what they believe to be the sinful nature of rock ‘n’ roll music by taking down the Bourbon. But even group leader Patricia Whitmore (Catherine Zeta-Jones), the feisty wife of the mayor who high kicks her legs in a peach dress suit, falls slave to the mysteriously appealing nature of Stacee Jaxx.

Though some of the acting seems a bit overwrought, it also fits the flamboyant style of a broadway musical. Actors such as Zeta-Jones, Cruise and Mary J. Blige bring entertaining performances to “Rock of Ages,” despite the ridiculous nature of their characters.

Musically, the movie does not disappoint audiences hopeful for a conglomeration of ’80s classics. The soundtrack to “Rock of Ages” is filled with hits from classic ’80s rock bands, including Journey, Guns N’ Roses and Pat Benatar, blending a solid mix of past big-haired superstars.

One of the opening tracks mashes Foreigner’s “Juke Box Hero” with Joan Jett’s “I Love Rock ’n Roll,” which forms a great combination of two well-known songs. The actors in the film commit so fully to their characters that it almost seems normal for them to break out in head-banging songs during their day-to-day activities.

Probably the most memorable moment of the movie comes in the strip club when Mary J. Blige’s character leads a group of half-naked girls and their male pursuers in an impressive dance routine that demonstrates the athleticism of the performers. Despite the comedically suggestive nature of the movements, the routine warrants some respect because of its extreme difficulty.

But this might be the pinnacle of “Rock of Ages.” Mary J. Blige is by far the most talented musical artist in the movie, and she delivers a stellar performance. And while the rest of the film is certainly entertaining, the movie is not a cinematic masterpiece, so viewers should go looking for a good laugh and some great music.

“Rock of Ages” even makes a cultural critique on the cultural transition from rock ‘n’ roll to soulful boy bands. When Drew gets wrapped up in a boy band, Sherrie remarks that his selling out is worse than her stripping.

But somehow the ensemble continues to rock, and after a few challenges, every hopeful starlet has their time for fame. And with all of that voice straining, viewers can only thank the rock gods for Auto-Tune.